Grinding 5th Gear Help

MyPony81

Aug 30, 2006
Hey Everybody, I am looking in to buying a 2004 Black v6 40th anniversary edition and everytime i shift into 5th it grinds , how big of a problem is this ? and what does it usually cost to fix?

• Sponsors (?)

Could be a bad or worn synchronizer. Mine used to grind, but I found that I was shifting at an angle (e.g. moving the stick diagonally from 4 to 5). Since then I've made a conscious effort to push hard right and then up and I haven't grinded since. Before you go shelling out any $, check that your shifting form isn't the problem first.

Also consider an aftermarket short-throw shifter, if making a conscious effort to modify your shifting habits doesn't eliminate the problem. If you do so, drain and re-fill the transmission while you are at it; the open shifter mounting hole provides a very convenient, no effort required location through which to re-fill

Could be a bad or worn synchronizer. Mine used to grind, but I found that I was shifting at an angle (e.g. moving the stick diagonally from 4 to 5). Since then I've made a conscious effort to push hard right and then up and I haven't grinded since. Before you go shelling out any $, check that your shifting form isn't the problem first.

Are those usually expensive? I'm guessing since it's the transmission then it might get kinda costly to fix.