Grounding Point For 12v Battery?

Discussion in 'SN95 V6 Mustang Tech' started by Zhen, Dec 19, 2013.

1. Zhen

Zhen New Member

Can someone tell me where the battery negative return is supposed to attach on a V6 mustang? I need to know where the other end of this battery cable gets grounded.
  2. D3VST8R96GT

D3VST8R96GT Member

What year? Mine grounds to the core support its right off the battery.... there is another down by the starter and I believe one more
  3. Zhen

Zhen New Member

This is on a 1996 3.8L base coupe. I see the one to the core support. I'm interested in where the heavy cable goes. The manual says it's ground G105 and is on the left front of the engine but don't see where. The battery has lost ground connection, so I need to know where to look. I know the positive goes to the starter. Does the negative go there too?
  4. Thatsweetstang

Thatsweetstang Active Member

I don't believe it goes to the starter. I re did my grounds on my v8 and put them on the body of the car. Try that, all grounds must lead back to the battery ground. Nearly all grounds and just ran the body of the car. Don't put any ground cables on the starter, the starter is already a ground. Or go to a junk yard and look at a v6 mustang
  5. Zhen

Zhen New Member

Yesterday, I put it up on a friend's lift. The negative ties to a 5/16" stud next to the starter. Fortunately it's not with the starter's positive lead which is difficult to reach. I found a new cable at advanced auto. The longest one was 49" and just reached. I zip tied it to the original bundle rather than tear open the plastic harness.
  6. Mustang5L5

Mustang5L5 Car used in adult film "Highway Gangbang-InDaButt" SN Certified Technician Founding Member

If it's wired anything like the V8's, the neg grounds to the engine block.