GRRRRR!!! Stupid Ping!!!

CanadaStang

Sep 7, 2003
Mb
I have a 98 GT, and I just did the head swap on it,other than that, it's all stock. It ran great for about 300 miles, now it pings like crazy.I'm running 91 octane, which is as good as it gets here in Canada. I tried colder plugs, going to a 180 thermastat, changing fuel filter.Plugs look nice and tan. Not sure what else to try, it's driving me crazy!!!
Any thoughts?

• Sponsors (?)

LI98GTStang said:
try putting some octane booster in there to see if it goes away? Do you have a T/A on there or a chip where you can dial down the timing?
I put in 2 bottles of octane boost,but it didn't make any difference.Not sure how much of that stuff you have to put in to raise the octane, say, 2 points.
I don't have a T/A, it's all stock except for the new 2004 heads/cams and intake.
I just checked my fuel pressure, and at idle it's 31psi. Not sure what it's supposed to be. I tried to empy out the gas and put in some from another gas station but poking a small hose through the filler didn't work, couldn't seem to get it into the tank.

should your maf be recalibrated due to the new heads? know anyone at ford?

and yes all new OBD II cars have an anti siphon valve in the gas tank at the bottom of the filler neck to stop any gas comming out of the vehicle in case of a roll over. so atleast you know your gas cant be sucked out.

Hey man check your PMs on the depot. With a headswap you do not need a tune you dont need a recalibrated maf and it would take 1 gallon of booster to raise the octane 2 points.

I'd love to get it Dyno tuned but the closest place from where I live is a 10 hour drive. :(
If I got a Diablo Preditor, would it allow me to back off the timing a bit and adjust the a/f ratio?

CanadaStang said:
I'd love to get it Dyno tuned but the closest place from where I live is a 10 hour drive. :(
If I got a Diablo Preditor, would it allow me to back off the timing a bit and adjust the a/f ratio?

Do you have a chip that works with the predator? I thought they only worked on the 99+ cars that used a flash memory.