GT 40 HEADS & INTAKE.

Guys,

Im going to change my intake and heads this spring.
I currently have stock 5.0
I have been looking at the GT 40 set up and I think that is the way Im going to roll to start. Unless I can find some good used performance parts on the low price side. I know there are much better heads and intakes but Im not ready to shell out crazy money for them just yet.
My question is. If I run GT 40 heads and intake. Do I need anything special as far as headers?
Are there a certain kind of header that I will need. I am currently running JBA shorties. Will these match with the GT40's? Or should I go another route. Also . What kind of cam would you recommend?

BANGER.

• Sponsors (?)

Standard gt40's don't need anything special. GT40p's though have different plug angles which sometimes interfere with header tubes depending on which headers you have. I am not sure about the JBA's. I know that some people go with plug wires that have a 90 degree boot and make headers that are not made for gt40p's work.

As far as cams go I have been looking at TFS stage1, comp xe270, and a Anderson N21 on my cars setup which is pretty similar to what your looking at exept that I am running my stock cobra 1.7's. Really it is just a guessing game for me though as I am no cam guru nor do I claim to be.

If you can send the heads to a machine shop get them milled for little more compression, maybe some porting you'll be better off performance wise. The GT40 Tubular intake is really nice looking with all those runners. Many people port the lower for better flow. I'd get a nice cam while your into it like a Anderson Ford Motorsport NA cam mentioned above and roller rockers. As for the exhaust you can get whatever you desire. You know I always suggestion ceramic coated Long Tubes.

Standard gt40's don't need anything special. GT40p's though have different plug angles which sometimes interfere with header tubes depending on which headers you have. I am not sure about the JBA's. I know that some people go with plug wires that have a 90 degree boot and make headers that are not made for gt40p's work.

As far as cams go I have been looking at TFS stage1, comp xe270, and a Anderson N21 on my cars setup which is pretty similar to what your looking at exept that I am running my stock cobra 1.7's. Really it is just a guessing game for me though as I am no cam guru nor do I claim to be.

Thanks for the reply fam.
This really gives me clear vision.
I'm going to check into the cams you mentioned and see what fits best.
Do you know how to determain gt40's & gt40p's Ill do some research as well.

Thanks again
Banger

If you can send the heads to a machine shop get them milled for little more compression, maybe some porting you'll be better off performance wise. The GT40 Tubular intake is really nice looking with all those runners. Many people port the lower for better flow. I'd get a nice cam while your into it like a Anderson Ford Motorsport NA cam mentioned above and roller rockers. As for the exhaust you can get whatever you desire. You know I always suggestion ceramic coated Long Tubes.

Yesssir thats exactly my plan.
It fits my budget and I can get some extra horses and a better look as well.
As far as the long tubes which I am very interestedin getting but I have heard a few bad things.
Like burnt wiring and torched starters.
Your pipes are sweet. Do you have any problems with them.
Do you have EGR? And also do you have your O2 sensors?
Let me know

Thanks
Banger.

For that budget you might want to consider some Thumper E7s. I think they are about $599 complete, and way out perform stock casting GT40 or GT40P heads. They come with better hardware too. Once you buy those heads, and have machine work done to them, you are going to be in that price range anyway.

Kurt

For that budget you might want to consider some Thumper E7s. I think they are about $599 complete, and way out perform stock casting GT40 or GT40P heads. They come with better hardware too. Once you buy those heads, and have machine work done to them, you are going to be in that price range anyway.

Kurt

This.. Unless the heads are perfect and you can bolt them on and run them as is, you'd be better off spending a little money on some aluminums..

i disagree with the aluminum comment, if your looking for budget the gt40 p heads are a great choice, you can find them in the 200$ range all day long, and the spring kit is 179, so for less then 400$ you have a 40 hp upgrade, aluminum sure will out perform them but good ones will cost you 1000 or more, you can use your stock rocker arms and a good off the shelf cam and with minor bolt ons you can gain 100 hp to the wheels with that combo, i recommend the f-303 cam as that's what i have ran with asimlier combo like that, and pulled 292 hp to the wheels, and , i will tell you i switched combos for a set of gt4o x303 aluminum heads and a tfs stage one cam and only gained 5 hp to the wheels, but i think that the cam didnt perform as well as the f303 cam

Also there are weight advantages steel vs. aluminum. The GT40p heads weigh a ton (44lbs each) where as the aluminum's are 22lbs. We all know every 100 lbs is a tenth so shaving 40+ lbs off the nose is huge. The GT40P's can be a great performing head with some machine work. I would never put these on my car in stock form.

Banger, don't know what bad things you've heard about Long Tubes other than they can be a pain to install. I did mine when the car had a tubular K-Member so they went right on. No fitment issues at all. No EGR equipment. I bought O2 wire extenders at Steeda and it all worked out. Best sounding exhaust I've had and it was my 5th exhaust system.

Guys,

Im going to change my intake and heads this spring.
I currently have stock 5.0
I have been looking at the GT 40 set up and I think that is the way Im going to roll to start. Unless I can find some good used performance parts on the low price side. I know there are much better heads and intakes but Im not ready to shell out crazy money for them just yet.
My question is. If I run GT 40 heads and intake. Do I need anything special as far as headers?
Are there a certain kind of header that I will need. I am currently running JBA shorties. Will these match with the GT40's? Or should I go another route. Also . What kind of cam would you recommend?

BANGER.
You sound like you are on the same path as I was. I wanted to buy everything cheap. Everything I have on my motor, including my blower kit, I bought used from the classifieds here, the coral, craigslist and ebay. Well, except for my exhaust after my headers (used summit shorties) and my tko600. I could have bought a top end kit and had 300 rwhp, instead I spent about the same on my motor, including the used blower and I make 424 rwhp. Sure, if I had a set of aluminum heads and better intake, i would make more power, but I am already close to the 500 crank horse power mark. I think I will just drive it like it is and save my money to build an aftermarket block setup down the road. So depending on what your ultimate goal is and what is available to you will dictate the route you take. There is no wrong way to do it, contrary to what others will tell you. Its your money, do what you want with it! Good luck and happy modding!

Reactions: 1 user
You sound like you are on the same path as I was. I wanted to buy everything cheap. Everything I have on my motor, including my blower kit, I bought used from the classifieds here, the coral, craigslist and ebay. Well, except for my exhaust after my headers (used summit shorties) and my tko600. I could have bought a top end kit and had 300 rwhp, instead I spent about the same on my motor, including the used blower and I make 424 rwhp. Sure, if I had a set of aluminum heads and better intake, i would make more power, but I am already close to the 500 crank horse power mark. I think I will just drive it like it is and save my money to build an aftermarket block setup down the road. So depending on what your ultimate goal is and what is available to you will dictate the route you take. There is no wrong way to do it, contrary to what others will tell you. Its your money, do what you want with it! Good luck and happy modding!

Whitesqual,

Diggin that 2 tone paint.
I see your engine set up and that is very very very close to what I want. I bought the explorer intake. I just need some heads. I'm not as familiar with accesories like "Blowers" "Boost" "Turbo" and "superchargers." But all my friends say I need them on this car. I'm just not at the point where I'm ready to dump $10,000 into this car. its a nice car. But I'd go buy a 2012 Boss 302 first. lol. I do however want this car to make 300hp at the wheels. if I can get 350-375 or even your 424 thats a extra bonus for me. Tell me more about your "blower system"

Banger.

Kurt

Kurt,

I'm going to check into the E7 Thumper.
You are right. I have been quoted $550-600 for machined GT40's
I'll give them a look. Any thoughts on a cam?
As always thanks for your excellent intellect.

Banger

i disagree with the aluminum comment, if your looking for budget the gt40 p heads are a great choice, you can find them in the 200$ range all day long, and the spring kit is 179, so for less then 400$ you have a 40 hp upgrade, aluminum sure will out perform them but good ones will cost you 1000 or more, you can use your stock rocker arms and a good off the shelf cam and with minor bolt ons you can gain 100 hp to the wheels with that combo, i recommend the f-303 cam as that's what i have ran with asimlier combo like that, and pulled 292 hp to the wheels, and , i will tell you i switched combos for a set of gt4o x303 aluminum heads and a tfs stage one cam and only gained 5 hp to the wheels, but i think that the cam didnt perform as well as the f303 cam

Screamin,

This is what I was afraid of. If aluminum is only going to get me 5 extra horses over the GT 40's why would I go that route. Somebody has to show me a major advantage to aluminum heads. I am open minded I just have to be shown a difference. I am clearly not familiar. I'm not racing the car. I drive it everyday. I want it to be fast but not speedway fast. I dont know alot about cam specs and how to really tell whats the good ones and bad ones but I hear alot about that f-303 and I need one that works directly with that gt 40 set up.

This.. Unless the heads are perfect and you can bolt them on and run them as is, you'd be better off spending a little money on some aluminums..

Turbo,

Have I ever told you I love that F'n car. If I didnt, (and I know I did) I'm saying it again. LOL. You excecuted the hell out of your vision. Double thumbs up. :nice::nice:
I understand what your saying about the aluminum heads but the prices for them are rediculous IMO. Other than less weight can you give me some HP gain numbers? How bad does aluminum out perform the GT40's. Any info is appreciated.

Banger.

Also there are weight advantages steel vs. aluminum. The GT40p heads weigh a ton (44lbs each) where as the aluminum's are 22lbs. We all know every 100 lbs is a tenth so shaving 40+ lbs off the nose is huge. The GT40P's can be a great performing head with some machine work. I would never put these on my car in stock form.

Banger, don't know what bad things you've heard about Long Tubes other than they can be a pain to install. I did mine when the car had a tubular K-Member so they went right on. No fitment issues at all. No EGR equipment. I bought O2 wire extenders at Steeda and it all worked out. Best sounding exhaust I've had and it was my 5th exhaust system.

Vibrant,

Definately heard they are hard to install but pretty much any header is hard to get at. I read they are close to the starter and can burn it out also some wiring and stuff under there is close and can be disturbed. I love the way they look and sound. A friend has them on his fox. I have a long tube prochamber. But it came off a fox. I never installed it because I was to ocheap to buy the long tubes but I think it will work with the SN and long tubes but Im not for sure. Its for sell. I just switched from Mac H & flowmasters to full Pypes exhaust. I'm loving it. The car doesnt sound so old schoolish more race carish. I have flows on both my old schools as well and there is a big difference. Although I'm thinking about putting the Flows off the Stang on my Expo. :neat:

Banger

Whitesqual,

Diggin that 2 tone paint.
I see your engine set up and that is very very very close to what I want. I bought the explorer intake. I just need some heads. I'm not as familiar with accesories like "Blowers" "Boost" "Turbo" and "superchargers." But all my friends say I need them on this car. I'm just not at the point where I'm ready to dump $10,000 into this car. its a nice car. But I'd go buy a 2012 Boss 302 first. lol. I do however want this car to make 300hp at the wheels. if I can get 350-375 or even your 424 thats a extra bonus for me. Tell me more about your "blower system"

Banger.
I found my blower kit complete for 1400 beans on craigslist. Its a p1sc inter-cooled procharger setup. Similar setups can be found between 1k-2k. Procharger, vortech, or paxton make great kits. Vortech are probably the simplest to install and are very reliable. I haven't looked lately but there are usually several used kits on the classifieds here or over at the corral at any given time. For tuning I am running a mail order J3 chip from dirtydirtyracing.com and an fmu. So..... you have a couple of routes you can go to get to 300rwhp. You could buy a used blower kit, with it you can get there without better heads. Or, you could find a used top end kit and get to 300rwhp. Or buy a new top end kit. If you want more than 375+ rwhp, you are going to need boost to get there, unless you build a wild stroker motor. Decide exactly what you want, and what your budget is and go from there.

For a budget build, the Trick Flow 1 is the cheapest but not necessarily the best. If you go with the Thumper heads, ask Thumper what he recommends. He used to post here, but I haven't seen gim in awhile. I'm sure he has a good recomendation. Aluminum heads will yield at least 20 extra hp, but the price difference is substantial. read through the corral classifieds. There are tons of deals on there on used stuff.

Kurt