GT fog light fix killed my car........

ram360

Founding Member
Oct 19, 2002
Pennsylvania
When I turn the key to the run position everything functions as normal. Everything lights up, fuel pump primes etc.... When I put the key in the crank position everything goes totally dead and I just hear one click. After that I have no power to anything in the car (lights no longer work, and the car no longer has any power (as if It had no battery in it at all). I basically have to disconnect the battery and reconnect in a few min later just get to get the lights to function. again. The car ran perfect, and started doing this immeditly after the fog light fix. The battery is fully charged and I even tried a different battery w/ the same result. :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

Here's a checklist:

Check battery, terminal connections, ground, starter relay switch (also known as solenoid) and starter in that order.

A voltmeter is handy if you are familiar with how to use it to find bad connections. Measure the voltage drop across a connection: more than .5 volts across a connection indicates a problem.

1.) Will the car start if it is jumped? Then clean battery terminals and check battery.

2.) Check the battery to engine block ground, and the ground behind the engine to the firewall.

3.) Then pull the small push on connector (red wire) off the starter relay (Looks like it is stuck on a screw) and jump it to the terminal that is connected to the battery. If it starts, the relay is good and your problem is in the rest of the circuit.

4.) Remember to check the ignition switch, neutral safety switch on auto trans and the clutch safety switch on manual trans cars. If they are good, then the relay is bad.

5.) Jump the big terminals on the starter relay next to the battery with a screwdriver - watch out for the sparks! If the engine cranks, the starter and power wiring is good. The starter relay is also known as a starter solenoid.

6.) The starter may be hung, loosen up the bolts that hold it on, and give it a good whack with a big hammer. Tighten up the bolts and try again.

7.) If that doesn't work, use a jumper cable from the positive lead on the battery direct to the starter post where the big wire from the relay connects. If it cranks then, it is the power wire from the relay gone bad. This will be hard to do, since there isn't much room to do it.

8.) Pull the starter and take it to Autozone or Pep Boys and have them test it. Starter fails test, then replace it. If you got this far, the starter is probably bad.

Wow jrichker, excellent advice there! :nice:
I was just going to mention that i had the same problem after I relocated my battery to the trunk. When I would turn the key, the fuel pump would prime and everything, then when I would bump it over to crank it, it would go click and I would have no power. I checked all my new connections like at the solonoid, in the rear where my new ground was, made sure everything was clean and tight. It cranked right up and I've never had the problem since.
Good luck with it.

I'm going to try to disconnect the fog lights and see if it starts. I didn't do anything else to the car. Just wired the foglights. I drove the car the whole week and earlier that day w/ no problems whatsoever. I finished the lights and now it won't start. I never expected that.

I got a new battery a few days ago and tried that and the car still does the same thing. I talked to a mechanic and he said it probably wasn't caused by the fog light fix because I only tapped into the parking lamp fuse and the ground wire, but I find it weird that car wouldn't start after the fog light fix and it worked fine before then.

You should also check your fusible links. I had a similar problem that I traced for about two months. Even tore the entire dash out to check every wire in the harness. I finally found that one of the fusible links had been replaced and the crimp butt connector that the previous owner used had corroded, and burned up.
ALWAYS SOLDER FUSIBLE LINKS AND USE SHRINK TUBING ON THEM!

Well guys sure enought it was a bad battery cable. Just kinda weird it happened the same night I did the fog light fix. I put a new cable in and it fired right up. Thanks for the replies everyone. You guys were right....... as usual.