GT front Brakes on a V6

Discussion in '2005 - 2014 Specific V6 Tech' started by wht-v6-vert, Jul 26, 2005.

1. wht-v6-vert

wht-v6-vert Banned

Has anybody put GT front brakes on a V6? Some guy on ebay is selling take off calipers and rotors for less than 200 bucks. It sounds like a great idea, but I wonder if you need a different proportioning valve to install them?

Anybody have a clue?

Thanks
  2. Jimp

Jimp New Member

I'm willing to bet that nobody here besides you and Jennstang knows what a proportioning valve is. :shrug:
  3. Jenns01TA

Jenns01TA Active Member

wht-V6-vert,

Good question. I am not sure if the differences in the size of caliper and piston on the GT brakes are substaintial enough to warrent a different size proportioning valve for the brake fluid system. Let me PM afixer and ask him to consult the Ford Specifications and Builders Manual and let you know. :nice:

BTW - Do you have ABS on the V-6 Vert right now? Change over from a standard disc caliper to an ABS sensored caliper with a non-ABS installation may require a little modification to pull off. :shrug:

jimp> Did you get what that is now? I didn't go all engineering on your arse that time! :p See I am getting less nerdy! It is the valve that controls the amount of brake fluid release to the braking system.

Jenn
  4. ctstech

ctstech New Member

sheeesh... it's a valve that proportions...!
  5. Jenns01TA

Jenns01TA Active Member

He was just joking ctstech. :cheers:
  6. afixer

afixer The Informant

so i just called my bud at ford. a few things to consider.
    1. changing to gt calipers voids brake warantee.
    2. if you have abs breakes you dont have a proportioning valve.
    3. if you are boiling the fluid change to dot 4 fluid.
    these were just a few things he told me.
  7. afixer

afixer The Informant

he is the head mech at my ford dealer i have known him since high school. and his specialty is brakes and front ends. so i trust his info. (spend the money on a tuner) Hee Hee
  8. Jenns01TA

Jenns01TA Active Member

As always afixer... You are Da' Bomb! :hail2: ..... Mucho Gracious Amigo!

Wht-V6-Vert. Hope that helped out. :shrug:

Jenn
  9. kevins05v-6

kevins05v-6 New Member

also the GT brakes will not fit if you keep the stock V-6 wheels and tires.
  10. fazm83

fazm83 New Member

Thats not true kevin, the stock v6 wheels will not fit lol :) the brakes will go on just fine.
  11. kevins05v-6

kevins05v-6 New Member

:rlaugh: soo true :lol: dang darn details!! :D
  12. wht-v6-vert

wht-v6-vert Banned

Thanks for the scoop

Many thanks for the input on this.

It sounds like a bolt on deal when you have an ABS system.
  13. sam_abuelsamid

sam_abuelsamid New Member

First off the front and rear calipers on the GT and V6 are the same. The only difference between the gt and v6 is the front rotor diameter. The GT rotors are 1" larger. Cars equiped with ABS/TC have no prop valve (this includes all gt's which have abs standard so no gt prop valve is available). the use dynamic rear proporting (DRP) which uses the abs to control the the rear brake balance based on the front/rear slip differential. This system is much more effective than any prop valve and can dynamically adjust to lood conditions and deceleration levels.

Non-ABS V6 cars do have a prop valve. The base brake balance is close enough to neutral, and the critical point is at .85g that you don't really need to worry about proportioning with the gt brakes. If you add the larger gt rotorsthe bias will be shifted slightly toward the front so your balance shouldn't be a problem. On the other hand the gt brakes are really not going to make that much of difference to the v6. Replacing the tires will have more of an impact on braking.

If you really want to improve braking, you need really sticky tires, and some aftermarket brakes, with bigger calipers and rotors. Be careful how big you go because you may need bigger wheels to clear the brakes.
  14. bat24

bat24 New Member

if you wanted the gt brakes or duel exhast or fog lights you v6ers should have got a gt :D
  15. afixer

afixer The Informant

13 posts = moron
    best to keep your posts to yourself. they are not and you are not wanted here. thanks for stopping by!
  16. bigcat

bigcat start with the upper hole, and if more traction is

looks like this guy did NOT read the V6 forum rules before he posted...... :rlaugh:
  17. fazm83

fazm83 New Member

why would i want the extra $200 a month in insurance? If you want to pay it for me, im more than happy to fork over the extra $80 a month for the car payment.
  18. bat24

bat24 New Member

open mouth insert foot i aplogize im really not that kind of person. you all make good points . and afixer i really am sorry . I don't post much because im still really new to the whole chat and moding thing . but its really been informitive and educational so ill think befor i post
  19. Jenns01TA

Jenns01TA Active Member

:hail2: :hail2: 13 posts and this one is a keeper! Welcome Principal Engineer and awesome information.

Jennifer
  20. afixer

afixer The Informant

it takes a big person to resond the way you did. rather than just take the easy way out and get ****ed. i myself hope you understand that we all are a part of a family and we all have good and some bad ideas but thats why we have theese forums. there are no stupid questions just stupid mistakes! so that is why we ask questions. and hopefully someone can answer them. i am soory about my knee jerk response and as jen points out 13 posts is irelevent! i myself always try to help any time i can v8 or v6. i just get tired of the v6 bashing. and get really tired of defending my choice. i love my car and have fun modding itwith my boys. so if you want to hang around go for it! dont stay in the backround jump in and meet some new friends.
    Tom

PS. my spelling sucks, but hey i think you get the point!