GT to Cobra swap IMRC question...

So-Slow

Apr 28, 2004
I have a '96 GT that I have the '96 cobra motor in, my tuner here in NC Don @ Modular Madness told me that I should use my GT computer and delete my IMRC's...I was wondering if they could be used with the GT computer or do I have to delete them. Also If I do have to do the delete is it just filling some holes with epoxy and removing the butterflies? Anything else I am forgetting or need to be worried about?

Question 2: Can I delete the 2 EGR valves that go on the front of the header's/exhaust manifolds and that expensive pump that goes in the passenger fenderwell? The motor didn't come with that crap, plus its all expensive as hell from Ford, and I could spend that money on other bolt on's. I was thinking they could just take that code out once I get a dyno tune from Don.

PS has anyone else delt with Modular Madness? www.modularmadness.com

Thanks for all the help in advance!

• Sponsors (?)

Question 1: GT wiring doesn't support the IMRC controller, regardless of PCM used. What I did was use an RPM activated switch to activate them IMRCs. It's pretty easy to do, all you have to do is tap into the PCM connector on the passenger side firewall, find the power wires (Blue/Yellow for power, Black for primary ground, Brown for signal ground.Then tap into your tach wire and you are ready to go.

BTW: Modular Madness has been around a while and have a pretty good reputation. They are the ones who made my swap chip, and no problems as yet.

Question 2: Yes, EGR functions are turned off with most swap chips.

Thanks for all the help, that sounds like a good idea...I never thought about using the rpm activated switch. So did you just use one from a nitrous controller? I guess you did this so you could still keep that extra power down low right? I will try and figure all that out, but since I will prob. have no idea how to hook it up....i'll take a look and if I have any questions i'll just ask-- thanks for the reply, do you have AIM or an e-mail?

No problem. Here is a link for a diagram that i found of the IMRC wires that can be accessed from the engine bay PCM connector. My setup is also a 96 GT with a 97 Cobra engine, so wiring should be identical. The tach wire is Tan with Yellow stripe (connected to instrument panel).

http://home.hawaii.rr.com/hfpc/imrc/diagram.jpg

Also, the switch i used was one Summit sells for $50.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=SUM-830449

If you keep the IMRCs, the car will feel quite a bit stronger at low RPMs. Don at ModularMadness can probably hook this up for you, or you can tackle it yourself. Any questions, contact me at [email protected]