Long tubes
Catless H
Flowmaster Catback (American Thunder)
its a 88LX with a fiberglass hood and scrapped power steering and A/C
95 Cobra R's 4 lug

nothing on this engine is ported everything is box stock

Ill give it to him and say that he is a GOod driver

hes still running a T-5 set up with a KC clutch and aftermarket shifter

what kinda times do you think this car could pull in? any way he could break 11's?

Im getting sick of everybody around town talking **** about how his car is the fastest thing around blah blah

So I went out and said that with his set up hes not 11's and hes maybe putting 320 to the wheels being generous and that any TW or AFR/Holley set up w/ a real cam would dust him

what is everybody elses views on his time and my statement?

I got a friend with a mildly modded 04 cobra that is afraid to race him for money and I told him nothing to worry about

mods consist of full exhaust and a Densecharger set up

any feedback on the GT40 motor EtC would be appreciated, I dont know much about that set up

• Sponsors (?)

Well, I've got a 94 Cobra with basically the same set up as him (E-Cam, headers, etc.). I put down 245 at the wheels. The GT40 crate motor is a good engine, but it's certainly no monster. IMO, there's no way he's near 11's, more like low to mid 13's. From what I've read, a GT40 motor that is stock puts out around 315-320 hp at the crank. I have a supercharger and I'm just now putting out 332 to the wheels. I believe your friend is misinformed. An 04 Cobra should eat his lunch.

Hard to say - so much depends on traction and the driver. And, there are 4 different crate motors - 315HP has Y heads and E cam; 320 has Y heads and B cam; 340 has X heads and E cam; 345 has X heads and B cam. As you can see, the X head motors have the potential to be healthier than the Y head motors.

The 04' and 03' cobras are beasts and can really run. You can do so much as a pulley swap and it isn't unheard of to be in the 11's without a problem. The cobra should be able to pull an impressive time at the track.

Stang2841 your friend with the GT40 motor should be putting around 290-300 to the rear wheels at best if he has the X heads. IF he is a good driver( knows how to shift, knows how to launch, etc,etc) and has good traction and the track is prepped properly it is possible for a low 13 high 12. Also you would have to figure in weather conditions. The weight of the car would come into play. So many factors come into play. However it is possible to get into the 11's as well. Some guys with stock engines, with suspension mods, gears, maybe a different intake and have lightened up the car have run 12's ERnotch is one of the guys that is runnin 12's. The only way to tell is go to the track and get some numbers.

C'mon guys - there's no predicting specific times/trap speeds without a BUNCH more info. There are folks out there with 270-290 rwhp running everywhere from high 11's to low 14's. We don't even know for sure which motor this guy has in it....let alone what his traction situation or driving skills are.

I am running a gt40 crate motor with iron heads and B303 cam. Naturally aspirated it ran a 8.36 at 83.9 mph on radials with a 1.89 60ft time. That should be good for a 12.98-13.0 in the 1/4 mile. My friend has a nearly an identical engine but running TFS twisted wedge heads and a E303 cam making 299 rwhp. His runs mid 8.20's on drag radials. That also would put him between 12.83 - 12.93 in the 1/4. Both of these cars were factory weight coupes running 1/4 tank of gas and no spare tire or jack. You would have to either cut a lot of weight out of the car or use a power adder to get in the 11's. You might knock .4 -.5 off that time with some slicks if you are lucky, lauching at 5k, and power shifting.

raph130 said:
with the right gear (4.10, 4.30) a stock 5.0 engine will run low-mid 12's but slicks are a must and $1000 of rear suspension work (racing drag springs w/air bag, traction lift bars, etc, drag shocks, control arms, subframe connectors, braces...blah blah) 225rwhp is all that is required to run a 12.9 in a light mustang. you just need the traction so you can dump it at 5k or so. the cars suspension must allow the front of the car to lift and put weight on the rear tires at once on take off and gradually let off. without this type of action it might take up to 300rwhp for the same 12.9

What kind of numbers does your car run? Your combo is similar to mine except for the AFR heads which I plan to add soon. I was running 24's with a 75mm maf but just switched to an 80maf and 42lb injectors to support the blower.

Cobra 3600-3700lbs, LX Coupe GT40 motor 3100-3200lbs makes up for the horsepower difference. I ran quite a bit quicker in the 1/8th with a naturally aspirated crate motor than my friends 03 Cobra on street tires. If we were running slicks I figure it would have been an even race.

I agree. I have a 79 coupe with a stock bottom end 302, GT-40X heads, e-cam, rpm intake and a holley 750. My car did 11.90's all day on a drag radial. I would take that race against the cobra. There is a big weight difference between the fox coupe and the big dog cobra. IMO