gt40 crate

88nosmustang

Founding Member
Jul 8, 2002
indiana
i ran a search through the forums and didn't find nething on it.... nebody put one in their car? neone know nething good or bad about them?

my car weighs 2700 lbs 2840ish with me in it, 88 lx hatch my cam bolt backed out on me and bent all my pushrods, instead of rebuilding i'm just going to buy new.

the thing is even when the car was running it was only pullin 13.8 in the 1/4, its an aod but has an extensive list of mods, the likes of which should be seein a high 11 pass....imo and according to all i have read on websites and in the mustang mags.

i'm tryin to keep a budget but its a decent size budget to make sure i can make power as well as not poop a tranny. so gt40 worth the money or go a longblock route?

nebody with info, it'd be greatly appreciated, nebody need to know the list of mods to try n point me in the right direction of gettin a mid 11 second street car or better just ask..

thank you

• Sponsors (?)

n/a the crate motors are mid to upper 200 for the most part...a solid quick alternative to having an engine built. Difference from a custom build of course being you will not be in a position to choose your major components but it's all personal preference anyways, and it sounds like you're aware of the situation going in. I would think 11's will take a bit more upgrading than the crate engine would provide without part swaping...and in that you might find a price advantage to doing a custom build selecting your own parts and providing an accomplished builder those items and allowing him to build to suit your wants. Just opinion..there is really no wrong approach, it's all just going to be opinion.

wow!!!! a helpful post by dman the wifey must be lurking over his shoulder :lol:

and to the poster, the crate motor is easy but not nessesarly the best way to go, there are way better heads than the gt-40's, and those crate motors are like, 3 grand ish. I get a good guy deal with my builder but still i paid 2500, for a assembled long block, boring honing sonic cleaning, dart pro 1 heads(similar to afr185), roller rockers, a new set of good hyper pistons, and he port matched my cobra lower, so talk to some shops before you go the crate route, and i would imagine to get to the 11's you need 400ish, and that will be a stout 347 to get there n/a

thanks for the responses, i had talked to an engine builder before this post and he had quoted a long block to me for 8770 which was a 331 or 347 with afr heads.

thats just out of the question when many places sell long blocks for thousands less.. neway thanks again and bryce that is a very nice lookin car.

my list of mods to this point:

afpr
subframe connectors
aluminum radiator
tci super street fighter t/c
racing seats
non lock up input shaft
underdrive pullies
bbk shorties
msd digi. 6 box
cobra intake with 1" spacer
msd distributor
shift kit
msd coil
roller rockers
painless wiring harness
big cam which is why everyone says it only runs 13.8
3.73 gears
ground pounder drag springs
electric fan
70/30 struts(front)
flowmasters
rear upper/lower control arms
h-pipe
70 mm throttle body
70mm mass air meter
bbk fender well cai
trans cooler
30lb. injectors
windsor heads
took out the a/c, removed front sway bar, no smog pump
fiberglass cowl hood pin on
saleen wing
nitrous works nitrous kit(rather not use it)
15x8 weld drag lites rear 15x5 drag lites front, bfg drag radials rear