GT40 intake and spacer clearance questions

RYC CUKR

Founding Member
May 19, 2002
Orlando
will a GT 40 intake and 1" phenolic spacer clear under a stock 93 GT hood or am I gonna have clearance issues. :shrug: If it is gonna hit do any of you guys know if a 1/2" spacer will clear?

Thanks guys

• Sponsors (?)

gaslight said:
tried it(1incher). doesn't fit without putting some dents in the hood when you close it. It gave me a good excuse to buy a stormin norman hood.

Yeah,

I am gonna go with a new hood, eventually. No money in the budget right now for it. Looks like I will be getting a 1/2" spacer. Good reason to remove the underhood pad and drop a little weight while I am at it.

Just wanted to check before I got the 1" spacer and ended up :bang:.

Thanks for the info guys

I dont know what to believe. There are some conflicting thoughts on whether or not removing the hood blanket will damage the hood's paint from the heat. Then again if you are changing the hood in the future I guess this doesnt really matter.

The dimensions on each car are a bit different. Many have different motor mounts which impact where the engine sits relative to the hood; stock motor mounts sag over time; although well intended, someone else telling you what worked in theirs won't necessarily help you with what will fit in yours. Go to KMart and spend 99 cents on some Play Dough. Find the highest spot on your current intake and stack a good 2" on it - then close the hood. Open it, pull the Play Dough off and measure your hood clearance -- you now have some measurements you can use to see what might fit and what won't in YOUR car.

Michael Yount said:
The dimensions on each car are a bit different. Many have different motor mounts which impact where the engine sits relative to the hood; stock motor mounts sag over time; although well intended, someone else telling you what worked in theirs won't necessarily help you with what will fit in yours. Go to KMart and spend 99 cents on some Play Dough. Find the highest spot on your current intake and stack a good 2" on it - then close the hood. Open it, pull the Play Dough off and measure your hood clearance -- you now have some measurements you can use to see what might fit and what won't in YOUR car.

Great idea.

I think that you have an answer for just about any question.

I'm going to be installing an Explorer intake with a 1" spacer too. I have stock motor mounts, and I was worried about clearance issues. I have a scoop on my hood, so if I have to dimple/dent/cut under it, I'm not worried about that. I'll be doing the install in about a month, so I'll let you know how it goes when it gets done.