Gt40 Or Gt40p?

Jly154

Nov 29, 2015
Nebraska
Hey guys I bought a gt40 (p?) intake upper and lower a while back and I don't remember what year explorer it was off of but how do you tell if it's the gt40 or the gt40p? Any help is appreciated thanks guys

• Sponsors (?)

intakes are not GT40 or P- only the heads. P heads have 4 bars on them vs. 3 for the regular explorer/gt40 heads and require special headers and different plugs. If I remember correctly they started making external EGR intakes m,id 97?. If your car has an EGR, then you want the intake with the EGR holes

And the ones without the EGR provisions also don't have the connection in the intake for the IAT sensor.
none of them due- you have to drill the boss on #5 runner. The difference is the earlier ones have a thicker boss to tap and drill. They also don't have the rear passenger pad tapped for hard coolant lines. Best to use the explorere hard coolant lines as they do not require tapping a return line into the lower intake.

none of them due- you have to drill the boss on #5 runner. The difference is the earlier ones have a thicker boss to tap and drill. They also don't have the rear passenger pad tapped for hard coolant lines. Best to use the explorere hard coolant lines as they do not require tapping a return line into the lower intake.

Hmmm interesting. They guy I got my GT40 intake from claimed it came from a specific year (i dont remember) Explorer and therefore was ready to go without any modifications. It fit allowing me to retain everything else from my stock setup, IAT, EGR, coolant lines, everything. I'm going to ask him about it again. Just like you Mike, these things are a staple with him for many years.

What are you talking about tapping for a coolant line? I'm curious because I'm about to put an explorer intake on this weekend and I havent heard anything about that. Its an egr version if that makes a diffence..

I had an exploder intake from an earlier unit and the raised boss was there in no.5 runner, I just had to drill it. I've had both intakes with egr and without. I used the one with egr. I don't recall any changes to the coolant passages on any of them

Oh s**t lol I thought there was. My bad and thanks guys so when it comes to the egr how do I go about doing things as the intake I have has the EGR provistion and I don't have EGR on my car?
Someone will have to back this up but if im not mistaken you can just put the intake on regardless if it has the egr provisions or not. I'm not 100% on that though.

Oh s**t lol I thought there was. My bad and thanks guys so when it comes to the egr how do I go about doing things as the intake I have has the EGR provistion and I don't have EGR on my car?

I believe OneWheelPeel is correct that the ERG intake will work in a non ERG application. As for the TB spacer which holds the EGR, you can buy a non EGR TB spacer that will work with the setup.

What size TB are you planning on using? FYI, the stock opening on the GT40 upper is 68mm. So, 65mm TB and no porting is needed. However, it's pointless to upsize to a 70mm or larger TB unless you are going to get a spacer of matching size and also port the intake opening to match. Make sure you get a matching gasket too. On my son's car, a previous owner had used a smaller gasket which negated any gains from the 70mm TB which was on it.

I'm using a 65mm Explorer TB on my setup and it works great. Modifying it was needed to make it work in the Mustang application but it's not too difficult. If you want to try this option, let me know and I'll post some informative links.

There are Ford part numbers on the intake to correctly identify them.

On the lower intake, the P/N is right where the distributor would stab in. Only the last two digits here matters. -BA is the EGR intake, and -BB is the non-EGR version. Of course that is if you don't know how to visually distinguish between the two.

I believe OneWheelPeel is correct that the ERG intake will work in a non ERG application. As for the TB spacer which holds the EGR, you can buy a non EGR TB spacer that will work with the setup.

What size TB are you planning on using? FYI, the stock opening on the GT40 upper is 68mm. So, 65mm TB and no porting is needed. However, it's pointless to upsize to a 70mm or larger TB unless you are going to get a spacer of matching size and also port the intake opening to match. Make sure you get a matching gasket too. On my son's car, a previous owner had used a smaller gasket which negated any gains from the 70mm TB which was on it.

I'm using a 65mm Explorer TB on my setup and it works great. Modifying it was needed to make it work in the Mustang application but it's not too difficult. If you want to try this option, let me know and I'll post some informative links.
Ok well that's good then and I'm running a 70 mm TB it's what was on the car when I bought it on the stock 5.0 HO intake I'm porting the gt40 intake to match but would it be better to just go with the spacer?

There are Ford part numbers on the intake to correctly identify them.

On the lower intake, the P/N is right where the distributor would stab in. Only the last two digits here matters. -BA is the EGR intake, and -BB is the non-EGR version. Of course that is if you don't know how to visually distinguish between the two.
Ok I know for sure that it's the EGR version and thank you for the information!

Ok well that's good then and I'm running a 70 mm TB it's what was on the car when I bought it on the stock 5.0 HO intake I'm porting the gt40 intake to match but would it be better to just go with the spacer?

You need both. The spacer is an additional component. So, you need a 70mm non egr spacer , and you need to port the intake opening to at least 70mm. It's ok if the intake opening is slightly larger than 70mm. But you don't want it to be smaller. And, you need proper size gaskets that are 70mm opening at least, not smaller.