GT40 Swap now I can't get her started??!!

dls322

Apr 4, 2005
Mt. Penn, PA
:bang: Ugh it was been a long day. Plan was to swap out the stock upper and lower with my GT40 setup i got off ebay. The guy used it on his wifes 87 fox and was switching to a carb setup. It was off an explorer originally. Ok, so i tear it all down, do it right, swap out the lower and upper....definately went back together faster than taking her appart. Ok, i get everything together and crank her over....crank crank crank crank crank crank........bang! back fire. Ok so i'm thinking the timing is way off. I had to pull the distributer off to get at the lower intake. Before i took it off I set the the engine to the zero mark on the crank indicator and the distributer just came right out. Now i don't know what to do. I set the gun on it and and got the line to match up and still nothing. It cranks and sometimes when you stop, the engine kinda like half runs for a second. I think the timing is wayyyy off, but how do i fix this, i'm not really that great with distributers. Any help would really be appreciated, the car is no wat my buddy's work and i'm going to have to get it out of there tomorrow. Thanks guys!!

• Sponsors (?)

How do i know if the #1 cylinder is at TDC? Is it the same as how i did it originally? I read before that you need to stick you finger inside the #1 cylinder to feel for it, is that right? Again, I'm sorry for being ignorant on the distributer setup. How do i actually line the gears on the distributer up, are there marks or something on it. Thanks again for the quick responses.

Putting the distributor back in is fairly simple. Pull #1 sparkplug, put your finger in the sparkplug hole, crank the engine until you feel compression. Then line up the TDC mark on the balancer with the pointer on the engine block.

The distributor starts out with the #1 plug wire lined up at about 12:00 with you facing it. Align the rotor to about 11:00, since it will turn clockwise as it slides into place.

Align the distributor rotor up with the #1 position marked on the cap, slide the distributor down into the block, (you may have to wiggle the rotor slightly to get the gear to engage) and then note where the rotor is pointing. If it still lines up with #1 position on the cap, install the clamp and bolt. If not, pull it out and turn 1 tooth forwards or backwards and try again. Put the #1 spark plug back in and tighten it down, put the clamp on the distributor, but don't tighten it too much, as you will have to move the distributor to set the timing. Note that if it doesn't align perfectly with #1 position, you can turn the distributor until it does. The only problem is that if you are too far one way or the other, you can't turn the distributor enough to get the 10-14 degree optimum timing range.

At this point hook up all the wires, get out the timing light and start the engine. Set the timing where your car runs best. Don't forget to disconnect the SPOUT jumper connector when you set the timing, and plug it back in when you finish.

The HO firing order is 1-3-7-2-6-5-4-8.
Non HO firing order is 1-5-4-2-6-3-7-8
attachment.php

Ok, so i got her to turn over, but the car sounds like a truck and there is this weird intermittent tap/ping noise....it's weird. The car isn't right, it sounds like it has a cam. I just want to go over how to get TDC. I make sure the #1 piston is at it's max, then i look at the markings on the dampener and they are not at 0. Then i got around again and it ends up some where else. Do i keep rotating the crank until i get them both to match up? Each I did it like 3 times and it end up at a different marking each time. Also what lines do i use on the dampener...there is like a Zero then a space then another Zero, then it starts going up by 10's. Also when i put the dizzy back in i take the cap off, make sure the rotor is pointing at 11 oclock and do my best to get it to set back in the engine and pointing at 12.....this is correct? I'm just freake dout cause the car ran awesome until i did this swap. I know my vacuum lines are alittle different now cause i had to tap and die fittings that were not in the GT40 upper that were on my old setup.
She's still at my buddies work, i had to use a tow strap and a forklift to get her back in the yard. Any more suggestions guys? Thanks

The piston will come up to TDC twice. Once at the top of compression stroke and once at the top of the exhaust stroke. By placing your finger in the #1 cylinder spark plug hole and cranking until you feel compression, you will locate the compression stroke.

The crankshaft turns clockwise when viewed standing in front of the car. The first set of marks (advance) run from about 20 degrees to 0 and the second set of marks (retard) from 0 to 20 degrees. Standing in front of the car, the marks to the right of 0 are Before Top Center (advance) and the marks to the left are After Top Center (retard).