GT40p's that look like GT40's - What the??

phutch11

Nov 14, 2005
I know there are a bunch of GT40 and GT40p head experts on this forum, so I'm here for some enlightenment on a head scratcher...

I've got a set of heads that have the exterior markings of a set of GT40 heads; the three bars, the cast GT letters, etc. But they have the weird plug angle of the GT40p's.

Anyway, does anyone know what vehicle these might have come off?

Pictures are on the thread I posted in the classic forums:

http://www.stangnet.com/mustang-forums/778871-what-headers-gt40-heads.html

They are also available under my public picture folders.

Thanks

S

• Sponsors (?)

FRPP shorties are designed to clear the p heads so they will work for either. I am told that BBK shorties are the same way, but I cant vouch for that.

In case its not clear the motor is in a 66.

And I am over the header question for the moment.

If you read the linked thread and look at all the posted pictures, it should be obvious that I have a pair of GT40 heads that have GT40p plug angles, in other words, some sort of hybrid head.

My question for this thread is stated above, what the heck are these heads and what vehcile might they have come from.

Posted via Mobile Device

perhaps you have a mid 97 explorer casting. 97 was the transition year for the gt40 to p heads and I have seen some odd things especially concerning intakes for the 97 model year v8 explorers. I wish I could be of more help.

Wow, that is a good one

phutch11-albums-gt-40-heads-picture4556-p1010219.jpg

The heads have GT-40 markings on them...but the plug angle looks like 40P style??

I wonder what size valves are in them? You didn't happen to remember the Ford engineering part number on the inside of the head near the lifter valley did you? That might clear up some of te confusion.

The valve sizes are the bigger GT40 size, and while I do not have that number handy, ill be swapping my RPM intake for a explorer intake soon and will pop the valve covers to have a look.

Ill post back then.

Posted via Mobile Device

Unfortunately all you'll see under the VC"s are "GT" or "GT40P" cast under them.

The actual head part number is on the underside of the head where the pushrod guides are. You'll need a mirror to peek underneath and have a read.

You can kinda see where the P/N's are here

3050235935_1ee5db1341_b.jpg