Engine Gt40x Heads, Vs Tf Twisted Wedge 170

I bought a used set of Sbc aluminum heads (blasphemy I know :eek:.) From a napa machine shop a few years back. They had been cleaned and checked with a valve job etc. The machinist said they get stuff dropped off and the owners are never to be seen again lol. Not sure what I paid but I remember it being a great price

• Sponsors (?)

The local machine shop here has a sign up that states, if you do not pay your bill your parts will be sold for machine labor. I have always hoped to walk in there and find a great deal on some kind of awesome engine part!

Joe

Reactions: 1 user
What heads did you settle on and how did they work out with your motor?

Final combo was

Stock 302 bottom end
TFS170 heads
FTI custom grind cam (0.565/.558 214/220 110LSA) w/upgraded springs
Ported Cobra intake
70mm TB

Haven’t put a whole lot of miles on it yet, but the shift drives I have taken have put a smile on my face. I’ll have more miles on the combo next summer.

Final combo was

Stock 302 bottom end
TFS170 heads
FTI custom grind cam (0.565/.558 214/220 110LSA) w/upgraded springs
Ported Cobra intake
70mm TB

Haven’t put a whole lot of miles on it yet, but the shift drives I have taken have put a smile on my face. I’ll have more miles on the combo next summer.
Are you running 24Lb injectors?
Did you keep the stock rods/pistons and just install new bearings and/or rings?

Are you running 24Lb injectors?
Did you keep the stock rods/pistons and just install new bearings and/or rings?

19# for now just to get it up and running. Runs and drives fine on these. Long term plan will be either 24 or 30. I have both, but the 24s are used and 30s brand new, so likely the 30s. Pretty sure the combo will run fine on 24s

I plan on going Megasquirt at some point. That’s when I’ll change injector.

I didn’t touch the bottom end at all. Stripped down to short block and inspected. My engine only has 100k on it, and I’ve run it on synthetics since 40k so it looked to be in great shape. If this was an unknown engine that I didn’t know the history and condition of, I would have done a full rebuild to a 306.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users