GT500 close to sticker?

diamonded

Oct 26, 2004
Has anyone bougt a 500 for sticker or seen one priced close to it lately? I met a guy here in Round Rock that says he bought his at a small town dealer and said he paid sticker.
While i'm not sure I believe him, I had thought they were going for a lot closer to sticker now, based on ebay sales and various posts i've read. The dealer I bought my GT at wants 62,000 for theirs which is 15k over sticker. Not to offend anyone, but at that price a lot of other nice cars are available starting with the Z06.
Mid to upper 40's i can see, but 62 not so much. Any info is appreciated.

• Sponsors (?)

The Z06 won't be worth what the shelby is down the road. A shelby is an investment, not meant for the faint of heart. The 2000 race ready cobra R sold above sticker back then and now they go for 100,000$ and better if it hasn't been raced and trashed. The ford GT stickered at 160,000$ and are allready selling over 200,000$. The car collecting game isn't for the average working man. If you want a stang to run the snot out of, get a GT and transplant a blown 5.4 into it, it will be cheaper and the scrathes won't break your heart.

New Shelby GT500's are being commonly bought for MSRP or slightly higher. The last several we sold were under $50K (well optioned coupes that stickered at $47K to $48K). Supply has caught up with demand so the days of huge dealer markups are over.

The Z06 won't be worth what the shelby is down the road. A shelby is an investment, not meant for the faint of heart. The 2000 race ready cobra R sold above sticker back then and now they go for 100,000$ and better if it hasn't been raced and trashed. The ford GT stickered at 160,000$ and are allready selling over 200,000$. The car collecting game isn't for the average working man. If you want a stang to run the snot out of, get a GT and transplant a blown 5.4 into it, it will be cheaper and the scrathes won't break your heart.

Eh...maybe. A 2004 Z06 is still going for low 30's if it isn't abused. Considering that the regular C6 is the same if not better than the previous Z06, it's impressive they are selling for that much still.

I also don't think the Shelby will be a huge collectors car. I mean, they are NOT a limited production car for the most part. You want to order one you will get one. That's the only "limit" they have on it. 03/04 Cobra's from what you are saying should be collectors cars and they aren't. They are still selling for A LOT more than a GT or Mach 1, though (pricing ranges from 22-38k depending on miles, mods, etc...) I wouldn't be surprised that when the new GT500 comes out that the current year GT500 starts selling for mid 30's used.

All mustangs become collectors eventaully, some are just worth more than others. Even the mustang II's are collectable now and there just glorified pinto's. They only make so many shelby GT 500's in a year, so it's not like there's no end to the supply in a given year. In the 70's, a shelby still could be had at a decent price, flash forward to 2008 and they are a 200,000 dollar car if there a penny, same with the boss 302 mustangs. It takes some time to build value unless it's really a limited production car like the cobrs R. They were building value before they were even sold just like the 70 boss 429 mustangs. Ford only built as many as the rules stated in order to run it in NASCAR. I think it was like 600 or 700 cars were built for the street in order to race it in NASCAR. It will take about 20 years before the modern shelby start building collectors value. Some will be wrecked or trashed, or meet some kind of untimely fait, the suvivers in good shape with low miles will be the cash cows.

Eh...maybe. A 2004 Z06 is still going for low 30's if it isn't abused. Considering that the regular C6 is the same if not better than the previous Z06, it's impressive they are selling for that much still.

I also don't think the Shelby will be a huge collectors car. I mean, they are NOT a limited production car for the most part. You want to order one you will get one. That's the only "limit" they have on it. 03/04 Cobra's from what you are saying should be collectors cars and they aren't. They are still selling for A LOT more than a GT or Mach 1, though (pricing ranges from 22-38k depending on miles, mods, etc...) I wouldn't be surprised that when the new GT500 comes out that the current year GT500 starts selling for mid 30's used.

I agree. The Z-06 is not considered to be a "collector" car by Corvette owners. All it is, is a higher performance version of the base model. Yes, my regular 08 (436hp) has better #'s than the original Z-06. Just like the GT500, way too many are built each year to become "rare". That is the major reason I didn't buy a GT500. I couldn't justify the huge price for a car that has 10,000 built per year. If you keep your ride bone stock, hardly drive it, keep every piece of documentation it may have some collector interest in 30-35 years. It took that long for the 60's/70's muscle cars to start bringing good $'s and even then it is only the best of the best that get the big dollars.

It won't take as long for the GT500, the KR and many of the special interest cars (kept oem mint) to flip to the collector side any longer. The world has changed, the baby boomers are in fact spending money to have that prestine car as witnessed in the auctions (like Barrett).

Remember we have some very stupid people in this world, and the production of these special interest vehicles gets dwindled down by idiots like the guy on you tube whos kid hopped in the car, accidentally started it and drove it through his parents house.. You can find GT500 carnage videos all over and those dimwits are what always make the numbers matching, oem auction cars worth the coin they draw.

don't get me wrong your not going to jump into one of them, store it for 8 years and go making a profit. However, depreciation in the short term will be far less, and in 15 to 20yrs, you will see the untouched, hardly used special interest cars selling for small premiums. The world has changed a ton, people are no longer penny pinchers even within blue collar realms.

The "limited" production isn't low enough to make it collectible. If you want one, there is not waiting, they are not sold out, and they are still making them.

The one thing that makes the GT500 collectible is the name attached to it... Shelby.

With out that, it's just another hopped up Mustang that will depreciate for 20-30 years before it starts appreciating again (if ever).