Guage lights go out when i turn my headlights on.

89drop

Aug 30, 2009
ok, so i really dont drive my car at night, and have only put maybe 500 miles on it the past 3 years (thats pushing it!) so i just did an led guage light swap, and noticed that when my car is on, and i turn my headlights on that my guage lights go out. this is among a few other things that happen when i turn my lights on. the tach also goes all the way down, and my other indicators such as temp and oil pressure get wacky! gas guage doesnt work either, but i was leaning towards a bad sending unit on that one...maybe not now. any ideas anyone? im so bad when it comes to wiring... :shrug:

• Sponsors (?)

You might have too much stuff on the same power feed, bad ground, etc. Where are you getting your power from for your lights? I get mine from behind the headlight switch. I attached a jumper wire from the parking light "hot" wire to the gauge cluster. It should have a fuse in line as well for safety, but placed where it's easily reachable

Agreed with needing to know where you sourced gauge lighting from. Parking light circuit or instrument (dimmer) circuit?

Have you undone your new wiring to see if the lighting goes back to normal?

Agreed with needing to know where you sourced gauge lighting from. Parking light circuit or instrument (dimmer) circuit?

Have you undone your new wiring to see if the lighting goes back to normal?

i didnt re wire anything, i just added the LED bulbs. but it looks as if the old owner did something...i guess i need to really look at it a little better to see what might have been changed. the bad thing is that i have never driven this car at night, so i didnt know this problem even existed...