guys help me make a choice?

JUSTaDR3AM3R

Nov 18, 2011
im 19 college student and working,and i'm confused weather to get a 94/95 GT or a 96+GT
i have about 3300 to spend. i was thinking should i spend 2k on a 94/95 and the rest on mods or 2.5k on 96+GT with few to spend on mods?
It will obviously be my DD, im a little worried about mpg, i would love 25+.
or should i just go with a v6? help me. im like a little kid in a candy shop, i dont know what to pick..

• Sponsors (?)

im 19 college student and working,and i'm confused weather to get a 94/95 GT or a 96+GT
i have about 3300 to spend. i was thinking should i spend 2k on a 94/95 and the rest on mods or 2.5k on 96+GT with few to spend on mods?
It will obviously be my DD, im a little worried about mpg, i would love 25+.
or should i just go with a v6? help me. im like a little kid in a candy shop, i dont know what to pick..

For that kinda money keep in mind it'll have high miles and need repairs... that could suck some of your mod money...better to be dependable than modded.

Have you checked on the cost for insuring a GT??? at your age it could be a deal buster?? Myself a V6 is no dice...wouldn't even waste the money.

i don't think either will get you 25+ on the mpgs.

the mod motor in the 96+, with its over head cams, is a more efficient engine, but also has less torque, so it will more likely get better mileage but be less fun to drive. with proper gearing though, they can be fun to drive.

it used to be that the aftermarket parts for the mod motors cost more, so modding it was more expensive. that was actually the reason why i sold my 96 gt and got a 95 gt. i don't know if that is true still or not.

if you are planning on doing alot of mods and getting into that stuff, then the 94/95 is probably better from a cost and flexibility perspective

but if you are going to basically keep it as is, and are concerned more about mileage, then the 96+ is probably better

insurance is generally not cheap for young folks owning these cars though

then you could get a 94/95 V6 stang for the insurance savings and miles per gal, and then swap in a V8 down the road ... hmmmm

being as this is a 94/95 forum you have to expect the answer is going to be 94/95. I'd try to spend a little more money on the car to get a lower mileage good condition one vs. just cheap. the money spent is easily saved in downtime and fixing it.

Gas mileage isn't that different between the V6 and GT. Most of the difference will depend on how much freeway driving you do and how much you use the gas pedal. I'm a bit heavy on the gas myself, so my old 94 V6 got almost the same mileage as my GT or the Cobra clone. The best mileage I was able to eke out over a tank was 20mpg. Average for me is 16-17.

i don't think either will get you 25+ on the mpgs.

the mod motor in the 96+, with its over head cams, is a more efficient engine, but also has less torque, so it will more likely get better mileage but be less fun to drive. with proper gearing though, they can be fun to drive.

Power and torque are the same. The 4.6 makes more low end torque. Negligible difference either way.

Kurt

@ JUSTaDR3AM3R...I'd look at it from a future modifications stand point. The push rod engine has a heck of a lot more affordable peformance options out there that will net you dramatic increases in power. And they are easier to work on. Otherwise you could get the NPI mod and a used blower set-up...the mod engines with their OBD-II ECU's are easier to tune. At this point if I were you it would come down to which car looks better, has better options, is in better condition, and has the better deal.