Guys with explorer upper/lower's i have a ?

1990Coupe

Founding Member
Mar 11, 2002
Toms River NJ
I've picked myself up an explorer upper and lower for 45 bucks at the local junk yard 2 months ago.

I don't have a tap to install the ACT sensor. I did see a post where it was relocated to the air box. Is that what most people do or do they just take it to a machinist and have it tapped? I really don't want to have the sight of the ACT all sticking out of the airbox. Any info would be appreciated!

• Sponsors (?)

I just drilled and tapped it myself. Takes 5 minutes if you have the right tools (Drill bit and correct tap) I was lucky that we had the correct tap here at work so I just took it home for the night.

A machine shop should have no problem doing this also and charge less than $50 I would hope.

Good luck.

Ok thanks guys. I'll have to poke around and try to find a shop that can drill/tap it for me. I would try to get one from autozone but i don't think i trust myself with doing it, i'm afraid i'll mess something up haha. Also i don't even know what size bit to get, or tap...

lol, seriously? its not that hard. just go slow. I'd feel raped if someone charged me 50 to drill and thread a hole through a piece of metal. take the sensor to the store with you so they can meausure the size of the thread and you'll be golden.

*Rob Schneider voice*
YOU CAN DOO EET

Engine machine shop charged me 20 bucks to drill and tap for the ACT sensor. It was the first shop I called. Thats the easiest way to do it, putting it on the air box is ugly.

You guys pay for shipping and handling and I will do it for $5. Just kidding, but if you live by me, bring it over and I will do it for free, come on, save the money and do it yourself. If you tell me what size the tap is, I can tell you what size the drill is.

i drilled and tapped mine. actually my gfather did cuz he's kinda anall about things like that. he's better at that stuff then me. its not hard though. you dont need to go all the way in with the tap. the sensor is tappered. also if you get a tap, you can tap the boss near #4 for the water return line. i did that too. i think the bit was about $18 and the tap was $12.

q. are you putting these on stock heads?
curious because my stock heads have this hole dead center near the top on both heads. i was wondering what that hole was for. nothing goes to/from it, and it also a part of it shows after the lower intake is on. not having any problems (i think) but curious

You'll need a drill with a 1/2" chuck for the 9/16" drill bit; or unless they make a 9/16" bit for a 3/8" chuck. :shrug:

I did mine myself, a friend already had a 1/2" drill and a 3/8" npt tap, I just supplied the drill bit.

for 30 bucks in parts you mine as well drop it off at a shop..

Mob is right, unless you have the drill bit and/or tap, have a machine shop do it.

Normal location is the #5 intake runner. That is the driver's side, front intake runner for those of you more familar with other engines than the 5.0.

for 30 bucks in parts you mine as well drop it off at a shop..

Mob is right, unless you have the drill bit and/or tap, have a machine shop do it.

Normal location is the #5 intake runner. That is the driver's side, front intake runner for those of you more familar with other engines than the 5.0.

+1 i don't have the tools and it will cost me the same amount to just have a shop do it. I would have attempted it but if the cost is the same, i'd rather a professional. Thanks fellas! :nice: