Guys with T-5 and 3:73's

• Sponsors (?)

Black 93 Fox said:
it doesnt tho if put it in 5th and step on the gas it will just basicly bog and take for ever to get going. :shrug:

You make it sound like it's actually worse now then when you had the 2.73's...Remember, adding gears makes the car respond faster, but you still are not adding any horsepower per-say...furthermore, 5th gear is more of an overdrive then a power gear Andy...

BTW..I use 5th gear as much as possible to help with gas mileage..however, in 4th gear @109 mph with a 26" tire I'm in the Red...probably top speed is somewhere in the mid to upper 130's not 150 like most think...

It depends weather cruising or acclelerating. For just driving along the road, I'd say 40-45mph here too, unless going up a steep hill. When accelerating with traffic, probally around 50-70mph. If I am giving it all it has probally about 110-115mph when the tach hits around 6K.

2001droptizzy said:
im sorry ..thats the gearing with my fox.

I shift into 4th around the 90 mph area..but then have to shift into 5th @ 109 mph...if yours is not close to either of those, then either your speedo is off maybe from not calibrating to the correct one, or you dont have 3.73 gears..or you have a larger tire

saleenster said:
BTW..I use 5th gear as much as possible to help with gas mileage..however, in 4th gear @109 mph with a 26" tire I'm in the Red...probably top speed is somewhere in the mid to upper 130's not 150 like most think...

Do you still have the stock tach? Because if you have 3.73 gears, with a 26" tire you should only be turning 5235 rpm in 4th gear at 109 mph......and with 4.10 gears you would be turning 5754 rpm in 4th.

maverick0716 said:
Do you still have the stock tach? Because if you have 3.73 gears, with a 26" tire you should only be turning 5235 rpm in 4th gear at 109 mph......and with 4.10 gears you would be turning 5754 rpm in 4th.

Good pt..yes I am running the stock tach. One thing to note, speed is calculated with very little to zero wind resistance...this can be another factor for higher RPM's at a lower speed.

saleenster said:
Good pt..yes I am running the stock tach. One thing to note, speed is calculated with very little to zero wind resistance...this can be another factor for higher RPM's at a lower speed.

You would still have to be going the same speed, even with wind resistance. It's physically impossible for the rpms to be higher and your speed be slower than normal......unless you have a majorly slipping clutch

saleenster said:
I shift into 4th around the 90 mph area..but then have to shift into 5th @ 109 mph...if yours is not close to either of those, then either your speedo is off maybe from not calibrating to the correct one, or you dont have 3.73 gears..or you have a larger tire

Im confused,mabey its the Humboldt county air?So your 4th gear is olnly good for 19mph......90 to 109??????

gungfusemaj said:
I had a 85 gt svt and I put 3.73 pos. and had t5 ...4th at 4500 doing 90 and then barking it in to 5th and max out 125 stock except the manifold and carb. and you know what it moved for a 4barrel

:bs: Come on now, do you think we're that clueless? That's kind of insulting. Chirping 5th gear?.....with a 85 "SVT" (no such thing) GT with only an aftermarket intake manifold and carb? :rlaugh: