h/c/i on stock 5.0

12Pack

Jun 3, 2005
CT
So my buddys got a stock 302 he tore down to replace the gaskets and bearings and such and wants to know the best bang for your buck that makes decent numbers h/c/i combo. Hes using all stock internals(dunno y, but he wants to.) He wants to also go carb'd.

• Sponsors (?)

You can do 300hp with an H/C/I. It's far from rare. You're only talking around 360fwhp depending on the rest of the drivetrain . You'll have a tough time doing it for 2 grand though seeing as a good set of heads will cost you that much alone. The TFS kit is actually nice, granted there are better combos out there but not for the price.
Kind of falls into the old: Fast, Cheap, Reliable thing. You can only choose 2...

For sure he needs to do some reading. Several builds on here and mag articles online, both MMFF and 5.0 Magazine. Chances are he will be needing exhaust upgrades, bigger injectors and matching/upgraded MAF sensor. These things all add up $.
As a side note, I'm saving for the TFS Top End Kit now. It's proven and quality. Right around 300 rwhp with all the proper supporting mods. Add some light boost (around 5-7psi) and ur at an easy 400 rwhp.
Here's an article to get him started:
http://www.mustang50magazine.com/te...1988_ford_mustang_heads_cam_intake/index.html
Also, why does he want to change to carb?

300 rwHP can be done with GT-40Ps...but it's gonna require some research and some extra work.

But it's been done before. Would be a good sub-$1000 combo, but that's pretty much maxing it out

Why go carb'd? EFI is a wonderful thing, I hate seeing people give up with electrical things and slap a carb on there.

I went with improved stock parts, ported heads, polished lower intake and abunch of other bolt ons. Looking back I wish I would have bought the Trick Flow kit, Holley kit or the Ford Racing kit. All of these are pretty stout packages that can make these little 302's sing! To make a big number he is going to need the add ons- Bigger injectors, throttle body, MAF, full exhaust. You have to pay to play!