H/c/i Questions

slow5poh

Senior Citizen
Jul 6, 2005
Citrus Heights, CA
Ok, i know these questins have been asked a million times so bear with me. I read all 24 related threads in the search, but still want to ask about my situation so i dont waste money.

Ok. First of all what is a dual pattern camshaft and what makes it better than a single one?

Also, i have 92 gt. It has pullies, shortie headers, catback, new h-pipe, alum d/s, and 3:55's. I just got my explorer upper and lower intake. I was going to run thumper heads also. I was curious whether to use an e303 or f303 cam. I have to pass emissions here in CA but i have been told that w/ fresh cats, the f cam will pass. I would like to make between 285-300hp. Also, i have heard many good things about the thumpers, but if i find a good deal on gt40's should i consider those? also what roller rockers, and what MAf.

thanks alot. :flag:

• Sponsors (?)

WELL SCREW ALL YOU GUYS IF YOUR TO ****ING GOD DAMN GOOD TO ANSWER MY QUESTION. I HATE THE "THATS BEEN ASKED TO MUCH" ATTITUDE!!!! IT'S NOT LIKE I ASKED ABOUT A CAI!!!!!!!! DAMN 16 VIEWS AND NOT ONE PERSON, LOTTA HELP YOU GUYS ARE. aND I SEARCHED IT TO!!
I DONT KNOW HOW MANY STUPID POSTS IN TECH GET LIKE 30 REPLIES, AND I ASK A GOOD QUESTION AND GET IGNORED. THIS IS THE ONE THING I HATE ABOUT THIS SITE. SO I GUEESS PEOPLE WHO ARE DOING THESE THINGS FOR THE FIRST TIME ARE JUST ****ED CAUSE PEOPLE ARE TOO GOOD TO HELP.
DAMMITT

:fuss: :nonono: :mad: :mad: :fuss:

Well, I would've helped had I wandered over from the 94-95 section yesterday and seen this thread, but flaming us because we didn't jump as soon as you posted isn't a good way to get help here. I would've expected something like that from a troll who wandered in and made a senseless first post that went unnoticed, not someone with 100+ posts. Now that I have that off my chest, I'll attempt to help. The FRPP alphabet cams are single pattern camshafts, in that the duration and lift are identical for the intake and exhaust. The stock cam is that way also. There's no benefit or disadvantage to that per se, however dual pattern cams *can* make power in an application that warrants one. Take the stock heads for example. You would see an increase (although small) from using a dual pattern cam that favors the exhaust. More lift or duration on the exhaust would help get more flow from the restrictive ports. Still with me here?

Now for your combination, there's absolutely nothing wrong with either cam you mentioned, but more power can be had with a different one. I'm not sure about the "E" cam, but the "F" cam isn't approved by CARB, and you may or may not pass with it. That's probably luck of the draw. To make the most power, give Ed Curtis a call, or check out http://www.flowtechinduction.com and look into a custom cam. He can make you one that will still keep you well within the safe zone for emissions, but give you better results than most off the shelf cams. Personally, I'd go for the GT40's over the Thumpers for the possibility of more power to be had, too. Good luck though!

slow5poh said:
WELL SCREW ALL YOU GUYS IF YOUR TO ****ING GOD DAMN GOOD TO ANSWER MY QUESTION. I HATE THE "THATS BEEN ASKED TO MUCH" ATTITUDE!!!! IT'S NOT LIKE I ASKED ABOUT A CAI!!!!!!!! DAMN 16 VIEWS AND NOT ONE PERSON, LOTTA HELP YOU GUYS ARE. aND I SEARCHED IT TO!!
I DONT KNOW HOW MANY STUPID POSTS IN TECH GET LIKE 30 REPLIES, AND I ASK A GOOD QUESTION AND GET IGNORED. THIS IS THE ONE THING I HATE ABOUT THIS SITE. SO I GUEESS PEOPLE WHO ARE DOING THESE THINGS FOR THE FIRST TIME ARE JUST ****ED CAUSE PEOPLE ARE TOO GOOD TO HELP.
DAMMITT

:fuss: :nonono: :mad: :mad: :fuss:

Wow, what a bitch. Stfu?

StangGT1995 said:
Man, I just felt like I was on the Corral or something, that's all. :rlaugh:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

the thumper heads are very good flowing heads, there are also other companys that port the stock heads.. and since your in cali.. powerheads in fullerton.. do a great job..

as for the fcam passing smog.. with fresh cats.. yes it has been done.. but.. the way they are cracking down.. the e-cam is smog legal..

cali sucks for modded cars... and lately the cops are learning more and more about the legality of mods to cars..

slow5poh said:
it isnt that i was trolling or couldnt wait, but come on, a whole day and not one reply. and aliate x you can go **** yourself how about that. anyway thanks for the guys that helped.

Congratulations, you just made yourself look like a total ass.....do you think people are going to want to help you now? Sometimes it takes a while to get a reply to certain types of questions......maybe the people who viewed it are in the same position as you? Do you want them making up some crap just so you can get a reply? All you have to do if you really want your post to stay on the top page is politely wright TTT (to the top) when you reply and eventually someone with some knowledge will help you out. I would have helped you out.....but after that outburst, look it up on google ;)

I changed my mind. Dual pattern means that the intake and exhaust duration are different. For example, all of the alphabet cams are "single pattern". An example of "dual pattern" cams are the Trickflow stage 1, 2, 3. Thumper ported E7's will outflow any GT40 head except the "X" head which is about equal. Unless you plan on shifting your car at 6200 rpm or higher, don't pick the F303 cam.

You are NOT getting 285-300 rwhp out of any e7combo. Yes it can happen, but it's not going to with the combination of parts you are using. In fact i've never seen any ported E7 head combo pass 276rwhp. Regardless of who's set they are.

You'll be lucky to see 270, but i'd expect less if i were you so you are not dissappointed.

I've seen many deals on ebay lately for gt40x (not y) heads, NIB for around $850-$900. Those i know for a fact will pass emmissions with an E cam (at least in NJ) and you will get your 300rwhp that you want.

Not to mention your car will be 50 lbs. light in the nose.

well. i made an ass out of my self. Not the first time, and probably wont be the last unfortunately. Oh well.

So no 285hp with thumpers. That sucks. I'm not gonna spent all that time to do h/c/i for 250hp. **** that. I'm not gonna spend all that time just to still get spanked by Ls1's.

Dual pattern cams favor the exhaust side (in the 5.0L motors) to help exspell the burnt gases out and to take advantage of exhaust scavanging [helps pull the next intake charge in]

A single partten cam can do these two things also, but are a little less effecient at it.

slow5poh said:
well. i made an ass out of my self. Not the first time, and probably wont be the last unfortunately. Oh well.

So no 285hp with thumpers. That sucks. I'm not gonna spent all that time to do h/c/i for 250hp. **** that. I'm not gonna spend all that time just to still get spanked by Ls1's.

You haven't made an ass out of anyone. Forums are for learning.
You want 300rwhp?

Basically you have these choices.
Afr 165's
Twisted wedges
edelbrock rpm's
gt40x's

A heads cam intake job, soaks up around $125 in gaskets and alot time. So just do it once.

2000xp8, the reason i said i made an ass out of my self is becuase of the 1st post where i had a bitch fit. but as not to troll, back to the subject.

i was gonna go thumpers cause they are cheap and alot of people like them. Let me ask you this, is 250-260 rwhp close enough to keep up with a stock
LS1?