H-Pipe Install

I have a 1/2" drive swivel head ratchet that is 14 or 18" long.... That is what I use for cases like this.

I also say the pentrant, also I use a torch a lot on my car to heat things up (propane or Mapp gas)... Get one with the trigger... What I do a lot is heat up the nut bolt a bit and cool it with the pentrating oil. This gets into the joint and loostens it pretty well most times...

For my car though I ended up with 3' of leverage in addition to bringing out the big guns to break the bolts... Then I drilled them out to accept bolts... If you have to break the studs just buy headers at the same time...

This is SO true! I broke 3 of my studs the first time i swapped h-pipes, and I spent about $70 at Ford on the correct studs and nuts. In hindsight, I shoulda just bought some shorty headers....dammit:bang:

• Sponsors (?)

Thanks alot for the help everyone! I am going to grab some pb blaster when I get the extensions. Black95 mentioned O2 sensors, I already uncoupled two connectors that attach to the pipe. One was near the headers and the other was right around the h-connection. Are there any others I missed?

There are two sensors screwed into the pipes on both sides. You want to un-screw them before you try to un bolt the midpipe. Its been a while but I'm pretty sure its impossible to do this job with the sensors in there? Even if it is, I'd take them out anyway against the chance of banging them around. If you break O2 sensors the car will not run right, and you will be dropping several hundred dollars.

Adam