h pipe install ?

85SVOGUY

Jan 21, 2009
socal
I have an 89 5 speed gt w bbk headers gt40 upper and lower and soon to be off road h pipe. My question is, when I install the h pipe do I remove the thermactor tube going from the h pipe to the hose then cap it off? Any help appreciated. I'm doing this after work along w a clutch cable quadrant and firewall adjuster.

• Sponsors (?)

If you are deleting your Cats then the answer is yes. You can remove the tubing and then cut the pipe arm on the h-pipe down then cap it or pinch it closed. Make sure you soak those bolts down with some PB Blaster or something and let them sit for a few to save you some skin on your knuckles.

You can also remove the smog pump, hoses, cap off the two TAD/TAB lines and either cap or remove the thermactor crossover tube that comes from the back of the heads. You can either run a shorter belt or use a smog pump delete and use the stock belt.

You may get a code when you scan but it will not throw off a CEL.

Please keep the cats and pollution controls. A bigger diameter h or x pipe with cats will not tick off the computer and next owner.

Lol do you wanna pull out 400 bucks for me to buy a h pipe w cats? The previous owner on mine neglected to tell me he got an illegal smog done on my car, so when I went to smog It I didn't know all 4 cats would be bad, Egr bad, act, ect, Evr, and much much more would be wrong with it. So I know about "ticked off new owners " The off road h pipe is a way for me to save cash for the next smog test so I can buy a new catted h pipe before the test.

If I knew where Social USA was, I would give you my nice BBK Xpipe when I replace it with one with cats. I just have to decide if I should go stainless pipes with Pypes or alluminized but a sure fit with BBK. If I knew Pypes had the AIR tube and someone had good experiences with them, I would be sold. Besides the smell, which is better with new O2 sensors, it drones with super turbos or 40 series and no cats.

Sorry to hear the PO messed it up. The good news is it will run better with some of those sensors fixed. I wonder if it is even if even runs in closed loop now. ACT and ECT are important to getting the air fuel ratio right. Does it run rich enough to burn your eyes? I was told mine got 20 plus mpg, and the EVR was just removed when the cats were pulled. What a load of cow droppings that was. (No, they do not drop snack chips whatever that is all about!)

I'm in southern California. North orange county to be exact. I fixed everything already. It was getting 9mpg when I got it, now she's getting 15mpg with a heavy foot. I wanted an x pipe to be honest lol. Ya ill probably run a shorter belt for the mean time cause my plans are having it street legal. Otherwise I wouldn't have spent 300 bucks on motorcraft tune up and smog parts lol.