H-pipe vs. X-pipe

jmk97GT

Oct 29, 2004
Pros and Cons for each?

I'm talking ones with high flow cats, as thats what I will be getting. My car is basically stock besides exhaust and I dont plan to modify it very heavily. Which is the midpipe for me?

• Sponsors (?)

The X pipe has more of a raspy sound, where as the H pipe has more of a rumble. The X pipe will equalize pressure and will create better scavenging than the H. As a general rule, H pipes allow for more low-end torque and slightly less Horse Power than X pipes do.

Pro's....either one gives your car a moderate power and sound boost.

Con's....someone posting a new thread about X-pipes, H-pipes, mufflers and/or headers every other day and not useing the "SEARCH" function! :bang:

Excuse me, I did do a search. I never saw any thread explaining the differences between X's and H's.

Thanks for your help though guys :nice:

Quick question, will prochamber pass emissions? I was thinking about getting the Pypes X since it is said to pass emissions.

jmk97GT said:
Excuse me, I did do a search. I never saw any thread explaining the differences between X's and H's.

Thanks for your help though guys :nice:

Quick question, will prochamber pass emissions? I was thinking about getting the Pypes X since it is said to pass emissions.
I believe this is what you were looking for
http://forums.stangnet.com/search.php?searchid=615973
sometimes you just gotta play with words a little.

about your question, I have read that x-pipes perform a little better than H-pipes in the higher rpm range. also the sound supposedly sounds more like a NASCAR or indy car when at higher rpms (more hight pitched scream), where the h pipe is more of a deeper rumble. for this reason i have decided myself to go with the x pipe. now i just have to decide what brand and if i should go off road or catted.
Good luck man :nice: