had it with this POS

mcvey90

Founding Member
Jan 24, 2002
B TOWN
before I go buy a camaro, someone needs to tell me what is wrong with this thing now.

the ol stang just refuses to go in gear while the car is running.

I just got everything together and got her runnin yesterday, and I go to take it out for a spin and I have to literally force the thing into gear. even than sometimes it won't go.

try reverse, ha ha ha ya right. it ground the heck out of it once, I even do the 1st than reverse technique, no good.

so do I got the shifter on there a touch wrong or what is the deal. if the car ain't runnin, you can hit every gear with ease.

WTF!!!!

Im really close to sending this thing down the road, what a money pit.

PLEASE HELP

• Sponsors (?)

how to

do you just pull the clutch pedal up as far upward as you can, than it self adjusts or what.

Do I have to do something to the quadrant itself.

I have a new spec stage 2 clutch, so I know its not that.
stock quadrant and stock cable.

I'm gonna go see if I can't free the cable up by pullin up on the pedal, unhook the cable, rehook it back up and than see what happens.

shoot me some other ideas or thoughts if you wish. all help and suggestions welcome.

thanks

Yeah, pull up on it. If it gives a few clicks* then it needed to be adjusted. It could also be broke (common- it's why there are so many billet ones on the market) or like we said, your cable is about to STB (which may still be the case either way).

mcvey90 said:
before I go buy a camaro, someone needs to tell me what is wrong with this thing now.

the ol stang just refuses to go in gear while the car is running.

I just got everything together and got her runnin yesterday, and I go to take it out for a spin and I have to literally force the thing into gear. even than sometimes it won't go.

try reverse, ha ha ha ya right. it ground the heck out of it once, I even do the 1st than reverse technique, no good.

so do I got the shifter on there a touch wrong or what is the deal. if the car ain't runnin, you can hit every gear with ease.

WTF!!!!

Im really close to sending this thing down the road, what a money pit.

PLEASE HELP

Don't give up on the Mustang!
Its just your clutch thats gone south.
Easy fix

well I gave a few tugs up on the pedal. no clicks. cable doesn't appear to be broken anywhere. something ain't right I know that. I thought about maybe placing an order for a new cable, quadrant, and may as well get the pro 50 while I am at it.

the clutch is BRAND NEW, spec stage 2. I had this thing back together awhile ago, everything worked just fine.

now it just has a major attitude. I don't get it, if it ain't running they slide gear to gear with the utmost of ease.

turn the car on it's like trying to throw the rock in a suplex. it just doesn't happen.

ideas????

mcvey90 said:
I thought about maybe placing an order for a new cable, quadrant, and may as well get the pro 50 while I am at it.
There you go. That's the best advice you ever gave yourself. I'd suggest either the Ford racing cable/quadrant kit, or the Maximum Motorsports cable/quad/fw adjuster kit. Problem solved.

I am a crappy manual trans driver, and when I get lazy on the clutch pedal I have the same problem. I'd agree with these other guys that say replace the cable/quadrant. Good luck.

can't figure it out

If I get the car in gear when its not running, than take off down the road, it seems to shift fine in and out of gear.

I went through 1-3 a handful of times, no problems. but reverse is a no go, unless it's off.

thanks for the help, I think the consensus is to go with a new quadrant and cable.

anybody got any reviews??? bbk, gms, fms

thanks

brand new flywheel

everything you see in the sig is new. the entire motor has been built over the past year and a half. the times are for the car when I was runnin the tired 302.

I got about 5 or 6 grand wrapped up in this thing so far. Hence the time frame for building it.

thanks for all the help guys, gonna go order some parts now.

Two ideas that work for me. Push clutch pedal to floor and slip foot off allowing the pedal to snap back usually resets itself. Just pulling up on it doesn't work.

If that doesn't work you need to get your hand up there and use your thumb to push the quadrant forward while using your middle finger to pull the cable arm back. You'll feel the pawl grab and click as it moves. It's tricky, but works well.

Another stupid but kicker is to crank down the nut holding the pedal to the quadrant shaft while pulling on the pedal. Seen that cause a lot of trouble.

Jamie