Has anyone ever been stopped in Mass for no cats

• Sponsors (?)

well i dont live in mass, but removing the cats is illegal just about everywhere, that said when i removed my cats i just replaced them with a pipe and unless you crawl under the car and look, or give it an emissions test, you would never know. So i highly doubt you would ever be pulled over for it.

Dr.

A friend of mine was pulled over for something else, cop knelt down and checked out the pipe, saw no cats, and also wrote him up for that.

Smitty15us said:
i was pulled ova for having no cats an i am lookin to find out what the deal would be bc i am fighting it so i need to know what might go on..

I live in MA and have been running no cats for over two years and so far no problems. I've been pulled over while running no cats and I just shut the car off to be safe. Cops never say a thing. Don't mind me asking, but where were you nailed for having no cats and how much were you fined? I heard the state was getting more strict on emissions, pollution, etc., but I never actually thought a cop would look underneath a car.

I live in Brockton,ma. Never had cats on my stangs never been pulled over my 90 notch has a 351w with long tubes,short h-pipe and flowmaster 2chamber exhaust. Please let me know where you got pulled over cause I won't be going that way!

my friend in SoCal was pulled over. he has no license. his car was towed, but when he was walking away, the motorcyle cop called him back and asked why his 93 sentra had a turbo and front mount intercooler. nevertheless he has to go to a referre on Monday for inspection. but he already swapped in the stock engine. motorcycle cops are DICKS. sorry for those whom are, but its the truth. btw, my brother in law is a cop. not motorcyle, but patrol. let the flaming begin by the motorcylce cops. prove me wrong. they are just around for traffic patrol.

Ya the cops got down an looked under the car an seen there was no cats an asked why so i told him that i just put this exhaust on i wasnt about to lie he seen there wasnt any.. so he gave me a ticket for speeding an altering exhaust. the cops said that by law in mass i guess u cant **** with the stock **** so i sent the ticket in to fight it an i just wanted to know if anyone else has been ****ed ova by this no cats bull****...

P.s thanks for the info guys...

Smitty15us said:
Ya the cops got down an looked under the car an seen there was no cats an asked why so i told him that i just put this exhaust on i wasnt about to lie he seen there wasnt any.. so he gave me a ticket for speeding an altering exhaust. the cops said that by law in mass i guess u cant **** with the stock **** so i sent the ticket in to fight it an i just wanted to know if anyone else has been ****ed ova by this no cats bull****...

The only reason he gave you the ticket for altering the exhaust is because you had no cats. If you would have had a 2 cat mid-pipe, you would not have gotten that ticket.

If it was illegal to remove the stock exhaust, Bassani, Mac, Flowmaster, Dynomax, Borla and all the big name exhaust manufacturers would not have 50 state legal systems.

Smitty15us said:

Ouch man, that sucks. How much was the fine for altering the exhaust? They way I look at it is.... If its your car then you should be able to do whatever you want to it. American is a free country, no?

When I worked at an exhaust shop we had half shells of cats and we welded them over the pipe so it looked like there was cats on it, as for my car it has been running without cat for 2 years without cats and no fakes either. I do make it a habit to throw it in a high gear or coast buy cops in neutral, I try not to stand out :rolleyes:

I live in Haverhill, MA w/o cats ndhave never gotten pulled over at all, and a few years ago I lived in Cumberland, RI on the N. Attelboro MA line and was over there alot in a diff. stang w/o cats and when I did get puled over I never got a ticket for no cats.... Luck of the draw I guess. I'm sure he was just lookin' for ways to get you... did you screw by him w/ the exhaust screamin'? :shrug:

dvs bullet said:
When I worked at an exhaust shop we had half shells of cats and we welded them over the pipe so it looked like there was cats on it, as for my car it has been running without cat for 2 years without cats and no fakes either. I do make it a habit to throw it in a high gear or coast buy cops in neutral, I try not to stand out :rolleyes:

Best advice in this thread :nice:

jaymac said:
I live in Haverhill, MA w/o cats ndhave never gotten pulled over at all, and a few years ago I lived in Cumberland, RI on the N. Attelboro MA line and was over there alot in a diff. stang w/o cats and when I did get puled over I never got a ticket for no cats.... Luck of the draw I guess. I'm sure he was just lookin' for ways to get you... did you screw by him w/ the exhaust screamin'? :shrug:

Hmm not to much maybe around 4,000RPM... The cop was just a ****in ******* all around.... But i was just tryin to find out what they could do to me..

Better get use to it, all of the copper are really cracking down on this exhaust stuff. I agree with the half or heat shields welded to the H-pipe if it is going to be a problem. Everybody thinks cats are this great answer to pollution. I have heard of people getting better results w/out cats than with. If your sensors are up to par and your car is tuned right, you should be good 2 go. As far as noise, just don't run open exhaust and you should be able to fight any exhaust ticket. 90% of the aftermarket exhausts out there are oem replacement. My equal lenght headers say oem replacement right on them.

I thought having no cats was a 1500 fine per cat missing? I know its real steep. I would get yourself a lawyer (if the fine is that high) and have him fight it for you. My lawyer got me out of a illegal exhaust ticket. He just stated that the cop was not a mechanic and did not know what to look for, plus he did not have a decibel meter to determine whether or not the exhaust tone was too loud.

Also if you can get a reciept from a catted X/H pipe(50 state legal) i would do that and bring it. Say that there are cats on it, and he just didnt see them/didnt know what to look for. If its your first offense, they will almost guranteed let you off, as long as you can back your story up.

Never had a prob when i ran no cats.

But now i guess i got older and the loud exhaust was just too much. I run cats now. I don't smell like gas when i get out of my car anymore and the car is quieter to the point where i don't cring when i start it at 2AM to drive home.