Has anyone heard of swapping Explorer rear disc brakes onto a 9"?

Great68

Founding Member
May 16, 2002
Victoria BC
I'm still thinking about my brake options, and I came across this article on the net:

http://www.mustangandfords.com/howto/28733/

Basically they say that Disc brakes from an explorer 8.8 rear will pretty much be a direct bolt-on for the type of housing/housing ends I have (New style big ford housing ends).

Is there a catch? Why aren't more people doing this?

I mean my only other options are to either completely rebuild the drum brakes that came with my rear end (New wheel cylinders, springs, shoes, drums) which would only be marginally cheaper than this explorer disc upgrade, or go with an expensive disc brake system like SSBC or BAER which is near $1000 just for the base systems.

Just let me know if I'm asking too many questions about this whole rear end thing. Thanks in advance!

• Sponsors (?)

Yea, it works. Maybe the reason more don't do it, is because the Explorer rear has both traction-loc and 31 spline axles, so the junkyard option's not really cheap in some cases. I was going to swap in a 9" also into a Ranger using a set of Explorer drums, but ended up using the whole Explorer rear just because of the gear ratio (3.73's), trac-loc and 31 spline axles.

I plan on doing this. Why haven't I done it yet? I haven't found the brakes in a junk yard yet. I think the kit is from '99 and up Exploders, so those aren't in the junk yards I go to yet. Probably not for another 5 years. :(

Like D. Hearne said, many junk yards charge just a little less than new. I'd rather go to the U Pull It and pay $50, or even buy it new, instead of paying an arm and a leg for used parts!

The kit from Ford costs about $400, and I haven't broken down and spent that. I found a 31 spline unit in a '79 pickup, obviously it's too long. So I need axles for about $225, to get the housing narrowed for about $200. Then at some point I need a center section.

It sure does add up. I may use an 8.8 in the meantime. I think the end result will be great, though.

the only possible problem that some people see is that the brake rotors are solid rather than vented, but since the explorer is a heavy vehicle, and does very well with the solid rotors it is no concern.

10secgoal said:
You would have to pm because I don't know for sure. But I think it is a bracket to hold the caliper to the housing, and the rotor goes right on the axle. But don't quote me though.

Hmm because I am looking at that article, and it appears the calipers just bolt onto the new backing plate.

10secgoal said:
You would have to pm because I don't know for sure. But I think it is a bracket to hold the caliper to the housing, and the rotor goes right on the axle. But don't quote me though.

I had my rearend made that way... i ordered it from currie and let them know i was going to use explorer disc brakes. they welded on the correct flanges for me to use those disc brakes :D

96 DOHC Cobra said:
The Explorer rear discs won't bolt up to a stock Mustang 9" housing. Wrong bearing size/wrong bolt pattern for backing plate. The 90s Crown Vic rear discs will bolt up to the stock Mustang housing.

actually there are housing ends that the explorer backing plate bolts to, both as they came from the factory, and available in the aftermarket as well.

96 DOHC Cobra said:
The Explorer rear discs won't bolt up to a stock Mustang 9" housing. Wrong bearing size/wrong bolt pattern for backing plate. The 90s Crown Vic rear discs will bolt up to the stock Mustang housing.

I have heard this as well. There was a great article on the swap in SuperRod Magazine about 8 months ago or so. However, the bad news was that with an older (65-73) rear axle (9") the bolt flange was not compatible. I called the company referenced and talked to them at length about this. The company mentioned in the article mentioned that you would have to either make new brackets or change the flange on your axle housing. Cost-wise, it appeared to be a wash (vs. buying an existing kit) if I had to pay someone else to do all the work.

I have an '01 Explorer to use for parts (my wife's :rolleyes: ) as long as she doesn't find out...so I was going to look at trying to make my own parts to do that type swap. So far, I do know that the rotor has a large center hole and does not fit snugly on the axle housing and would need a machined spacer to center the rotor on the axle. The outer part of the axle may have to be turned down to accommodate the parking brake which is of the "shoe" type. As for just bolting on the backing plate--after measuring myself it won't just bolt onto the early 9" housing and would need new brackets or the axle housing flanges changed. Making brackets aren't a huge concern for me, but I haven't decided the best course of action as yet. I saw mention of a 90's Crown Vic and plan to investigate that.

So anyway, I am still looking at it, but my opinion is that it may be more effective to buy a SSB kit for an early car unless the 90's Crown Vic will bolt on. Hopefully someone else has an idea or can confirm how to make this work on an early housing (cheaply!!!)?

The Crown Vic backing plates do bolt to the early Mustang 8 & 9" housings. I've already checked that and know this for a fact. I didn't, however, check the fitment of the Crown Vic rotor on the Mustang axle. I don't think the flange will need machining, but the center hole is larger than the Mustang hub and should use a spacer. It's not required but would be a smart thing to do.

68rustang said:
not to hijack the thread but an SN95 Rear end fits underneath the mustangs (67-68) has disc brakes and is quite easy to find.
Where would you suggest I look for one? Please don't tell me SN95s are common in junkyards where you live. :rolleyes:

Fox 4 cylinder Mustangs can be found here and there if you look hard enough, but an SN95?

12sec67 said:
I had my rearend made that way... i ordered it from currie and let them know i was going to use explorer disc brakes. they welded on the correct flanges for me to use those disc brakes :D

Oops. Mi mal. Told ya not to quote me on that.
There is a place on e-bay though that sell brakets to make you own conversion.

Hack said:
Where would you suggest I look for one? Please don't tell me SN95s are common in junkyards where you live. :rolleyes:

Fox 4 cylinder Mustangs can be found here and there if you look hard enough, but an SN95?

They aren't in many junkyards. Most wrecked mustangs go to auction and are bought up by specialized salvage yards like MPS and the like. The is a yard outside Toledo Ohio (about 1.5 hours from me that has a yard full of wrecked SN95's) I think it is called Lapoint Auto Salvage, or Lapoint something or other. Your best place to look is the local classifieds and swap meets. People ball up their stangs all the time (especially when it starts snowing). Many times people around here will part them out and try to make a buck. I bought a complete 95 GT 5spd car that was hit in the front for $1500.00. I have kept the wheels, tires, diff, trans, hypertech computer, seats, B&M shifter, EFI, wiring, fuel pump and sold or am selling the rest. I still have a basement full of parts to sell and have already made back over $1000.00. With the SN95 rear you get disc brakes, tracloc, a working parking brake, and in my case 3.50 or 3.55 gears. I have attached a few pics of the rear sitting under the car before I welded on the spring perches. Since these pics were taken I have welded everything up painted it and mounted it under the car. I am now cleaning and painting the rear brake parts.

I am not trying to brag. I am just pointing out another option for you guys looking to swap 8.8"s into your cars. The explorer rears are nice because they come with "locking" diffs and 31 spline axles, but the pinion is offset something like 4" to one side.

I realize this thread was more about just using the brakes off an exlporer on a 9". I apologize for the hijacking. :(

Attachments

• 8.8 in 68 120204 (1) (Custom).jpg
    8.8 in 68 120204 (1) (Custom).jpg
    11.8 KB · Views: 188
  • 8.8 in 68 120204 (2) (Custom).jpg
    8.8 in 68 120204 (2) (Custom).jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 172