has anyone put ther MAF in the fender?

mob

the guy who hits on his mom
Dirt-Old 20+Year Member
Oct 3, 2003
Dallas, TX
Hey guys, I have a foxbody, I ordered a Anderson Power Pipe that puts the MAF in the fender. I have a 95 gt MAF. The guy at Anderson told me that the MAF isnt sensitive enough to be that far away from the throttle body. Does anyone have and anderson pipe with the stock 95 gt MAF on it in the fender? Does it work alright?

• Sponsors (?)

Hey guys, I have a foxbody, I ordered a Anderson Power Pipe that puts the MAF in the fender. I have a 95 gt MAF. The guy at Anderson told me that the MAF isnt sensitive enough to be that far away from the throttle body. Does anyone have and anderson pipe with the stock 95 gt MAF on it in the fender? Does it work alright?

I don't know but I'd be interested why Anderson made that comment about not being sensitive enough (whatever that means). Am I mistaken that the MAF doesn't measure mass air flow. Seems to me that it should work at any location so long as it's fully within the intake tube.

Thanks guys, I am going to try to use it anyways when I get my pipe tomorow. "cenok is family" on the 5.0 forums is using pretty much the same setup, custom power pipe just like the Anderson pipe with a 95 GT MAF in the fender and he hasnt had a problem.

I have the NA power pipe from AFM and it works great with the MAF in the fender it allows for lower intake temps cause of the cooler air coming in through the fender. The wiring harness reached with no problem.

We have had instances with the older cars, 89-95, naturally aspirated, when trying to use a stock meter in the fender. Flat on the floor WOT performance was fine, but, low speed drive-ability proved to be an issue at times.

I would much rather tell a customer that there may be an issue with a particular combination than have the call back saying "you said it would work great". There is a chance that there could be a problem. I hope not, but, the chance is there.

We have had instances with the older cars, 89-95, naturally aspirated, when trying to use a stock meter in the fender. Flat on the floor WOT performance was fine, but, low speed drive-ability proved to be an issue at times.

I would much rather tell a customer that there may be an issue with a particular combination than have the call back saying "you said it would work great". There is a chance that there could be a problem. I hope not, but, the chance is there.[/QUOTE

Wish more companies would follow suit......:rolleyes: props to you for being honest up front and then explaining your comments further..:nice:

Yea Brian the guy I ordered it from, I think his name was Mark, didnt want to sell me the pipe because he said he didnt know if it would work with the 95 MAF. I told him i wanted it anyways and I would look into getting another MAF if it didnt work. It cant hurt to try but we'll see. I understand your reasoning for not telling people it will work great though. Thanks for being honest.

I would much rather tell a customer that there may be an issue with a particular combination than have the call back saying "you said it would work great". There is a chance that there could be a problem. I hope not, but, the chance is there.

That's a better explaination than what the OP indicated. Good for you to further clarify your statement :nice:

Well this is the exact email I got back from Brian when I asked if it would work. Maybe thats why I was confused also.

"The problem would be that the mass air meter you're referring to is not sensitive enough to be that far away from the throttle body. This will cause poor drive-ability."

I've used a morpheous power pipe on my '95 for years with a Pro-M MAF and I'm now running it with a stock MAF on my '94 cobra and I've had no issues with either setup. I removed the pipe from my '95 when I switched to a fox style TB, and I'm speed density now with my AEM.

My '95 with it:

175030.jpg

Here's what I'm running now:

237857.jpg

My '94 Cobra:

276693.jpg

I wonder if its a stock MAS that is the issue. I talked to Rick himself when i bought my powerpipe and got a pro-m 80mm maf/filter at the same time. never mentioned a possible issue with the location.

I have never had any issues with mine during normal driving.
I also did as prokiller did and I talked to Rick before I got mine.
I also put my 80mm pro-m on at the same time as the power pipe.
The power pipe does put the MAF a long was away from the TB.
I remember my MAF wasn't tightened down good and the first time I drove it the MAF slip off along with the filter. Wow talk about running bad. I freaked out not knowing what happened till I looked up from under the bumper. I slapped it back on and ran fine. Also that is a very tight area to work with if you don't remove anything.

LOL the same thing happened to me. except I was pulling out of my driveway and heard it hit the bumper when it fell off.

When i ordered mine I was told the stock maf would not work. So i bough the 90mm LMAF with the Load IO system.