Has Anyone Ran a Comp Xe270hr-14?

ReefBlueHatch

Jan 12, 2010
Central KY
Well I've searched all over to get opinions on Comp's Xe270hr-14, but could find anyone talking about it. I'm really confused on what cam to pick. I have fresh GT40Ps with a three angle valve job and Comp 135 lbs. springs. So I've considered the TFS stage 1, Comp Xe270hr-12 and Xe270hr-14, Crowler 15511, or even thought about talking to Jay Allen. I'm planning on adding a Vortec in a year or two and was told the 114 speration was good for boost, is that true?

Xe270hr-14
270/276 advertised duration

218/224 duration @ .050"

.512/.512 lift With 1.6 Rocker Arms

114° lobe seperation angle

1800-5800 RPM operating range

• Sponsors (?)

i have it with all the stuff in my signature. I enjoy it, lots of power down low good mid rpm torque and its very good drive ability. I ran mine with stock heads for a while and ran great also. I wish it was a bit more choppy but then again you sacrifice driveability

That is a fairly mild cam, you'll have a little bit of noise to it at idle, but the car will still be very streetable. I'd usually like to see more lift on a cam, maybe run it with 1.7s...? (I can't remember what flow numbers for P's look like off hand, not sure how much more lift would really be helpful.) What intake is on your car?

Have you tried talking to Comp? They can help you choose a cam. They also have free software that you can download that will help you choose a cam, called CamQuest. (It tries to predict horsepower, but ignore that, it can be waaaaay inflated.)

Last I heard, Jay was out of the game. You might try to get a hold of him, but don't have your hopes up too high.

That is a fairly mild cam, you'll have a little bit of noise to it at idle, but the car will still be very streetable. I'd usually like to see more lift on a cam, maybe run it with 1.7s...? (I can't remember what flow numbers for P's look like off hand, not sure how much more lift would really be helpful.) What intake is on your car?

Have you tried talking to Comp? They can help you choose a cam. They also have free software that you can download that will help you choose a cam, called CamQuest. (It tries to predict horsepower, but ignore that, it can be waaaaay inflated.)

Last I heard, Jay was out of the game. You might try to get a hold of him, but don't have your hopes up too high.

I should have mentioned that my numbers are with a 1.72 rockers, so nearly the exact same cam.

There are many many other cam grinders out there that are just as good as Jay, ed curtis, buddy rawls, etc

He's probably looking at that cam for smog ability and not totally for performance.

I'd rock it, its what im using with my blower.

I had the Crower 15511 with 1.7 rockers in my supercharged 302 and loved it. Before the blower in N/A form it made 292HP at the wheels, with the blower 455HP. The lope was fantastic and lobe seperation is 115. Later I switched to a 347- AFR 185's, systemax, etc. and went with a Crane Custom in the XE line.

Supercharged with Crower
MustangSupercharged.jpg

347 with Crane XE Custom
Motor12-29-05.jpg

I'll be running a Explorer intake and P's at .50" lift are 196 intake and 141 exhaust. I'm not too concerned about drivability, but more about performance and a lumpy idle. Also, I don't have to worry about smog. Is it worth spending $85-$120 extra between a TFS, Comp, Crowler, or custom for just P heads?

No smog, then why are you screwing around with a cam like that. Find a cheap set of heads(that you can inspect personally before buying) and enjoy the fruits of it.

That cam is perfect for p heads and smog, but i'd go bigger on both if at all possible

I'll be running a Explorer intake and P's at .50" lift are 196 intake and 141 exhaust. I'm not too concerned about drivability, but more about performance and a lumpy idle. Also, I don't have to worry about smog. Is it worth spending $85-$120 extra between a TFS, Comp, Crowler, or custom for just P heads?

Meh, it's really up to you. A custom is just going to be the best cam to match your parts, everything else is just guessing.

Did you check out Cam Quest? I recommend it, it's fun to play around with.

I'm having difficulty quoting, so I'll to answer everything.

I tried to call Jay Allen a few days ago, no answer. I might try Ed Curtis just for giggles.

I've been playing around with Cam Quest, it has recommended seven grinds as great fits. 280HR, XE274HR, XE276HR, NX274HR, 284HR, 276HR, and 281HR.

I already have the heads, I'm picking them up tomorrow from the machine shop. I'll be also running a C&L 76mm, FRPP shorties, Explorer intake, MSD 6A, and underdrives along with 3.73's. A local tuner just bought a dyno and is now tuning A9L, so I might try for a tune in the spring.

I tried to call Jay Allen a few days ago, no answer. I might try Ed Curtis just for giggles.

I've been playing around with Cam Quest, it has recommended seven grinds as great fits. 280HR, XE274HR, XE276HR, NX274HR, 284HR, 276HR, and 281HR.

I already have the heads, I'm picking them up tomorrow from the machine shop. I'll be also running a C&L 76mm, FRPP shorties, Explorer intake, MSD 6A, and underdrives along with 3.73's. A local tuner just bought a dyno and is now tuning A9L, so I might try for a tune in the spring.

Jay allen is dieing, i doubt you'll get a hold of him.

Ed curtis wont answer the phone as far as i know. But if you email him he'll get back to you in a couple hours. Ive exchanged up to 30 emails in one day with him, and he'll hook you up on brown box parts too. Im completely happy with his service.

The XE cams are probably your best bet. IIRC, the NX cams are nitrous cams, and have a little more exhaust lobe to them.

This is all just from memory, I've got the Comp catalog somewhere, but I don't have time to flip through it right now...

Jay allen is dieing, i doubt you'll get a hold of him.

Ed curtis wont answer the phone as far as i know. But if you email him he'll get back to you in a couple hours. Ive exchanged up to 30 emails in one day with him, and he'll hook you up on brown box parts too. Im completely happy with his service.

I didn't think Jay was sick anymore, but I do know his cam business is either on hold or permanently over.

The XE cams are probably your best bet. IIRC, the NX cams are nitrous cams, and have a little more exhaust lobe to them.

This is all just from memory, I've got the Comp catalog somewhere, but I don't have time to flip through it right now...

I didn't think Jay was sick anymore, but I do know his cam business is either on hold or permanently over.

Thats good to hear, I heard he was still very very sick. And that if he did get better he'd be working for nearly a year to catch up on his orders.

How close do these compare?

Xe274hr-12
274/282 advertised duration
224/232 duration @ .050"
.555/.565 lift With 1.6 Rocker Arms
112° lobe seperation angle

2200-6200 RPM operating range

Trick Flow II
Duration @ 050" (degrees) - 224 intake/232 exhaust
Cam Lift (intake/exhaust) - .339"/.352"
Lift w/ 1.6 rocker (intake/exhaust) - .542"/.563"
Lobe seperation (degrees) - 112°

How close do these compare?

Xe274hr-12
274/282 advertised duration
224/232 duration @ .050"
.555/.565 lift With 1.6 Rocker Arms
112° lobe seperation angle

2200-6200 RPM operating range

Trick Flow II
Duration @ 050" (degrees) - 224 intake/232 exhaust
Cam Lift (intake/exhaust) - .339"/.352"
Lift w/ 1.6 rocker (intake/exhaust) - .542"/.563"
Lobe seperation (degrees) - 112°

I like the XE lobes because they have more agressive ramp rates, which means they have more "area under the curve". That means you get better performance without making sacrifices to drivability.

The XE274 VS the TF2 is the perfect example of this. The TF has relatively "slow" ramp rates compared to the XE cam. The advertised duration on the TF cam is 293 in/290 ex compared to the XE's 274/282. So you can see that the XE cam gets into higher, more useful valve lift faster than the TF cam does. In the end, both cams have similar lift and duration at .050", but the XE is likely going to have better drivability and low speed characteristics.

Something else I should say, is completely ignore "RPM range" stuff. It's completely irrelevant, RPM range is based on the combination of parts, not the individual. They just like to put that stuff on engine parts as a marketing ploy. If you were to put that XE cam in a completely bone stock 5.0, it's still not going to want to pull all the way to 6200.

I went ahead and bought a used E cam, so I guess I'm good now.

Just kidding! Nik, you seem to know your stuff about cams. If you had my combo, which Xe grind would you pick? I don't know much about cams yet and I'm trying to learn.