Hatch Keeps Popping Open

Imatk

Apr 17, 2005
I've got a 1991 Mustang GT and my hatch keeps popping open when I go over bumps.

I thought it might have been the bushing that had long since broken, but I replaced that and it's still popping open.

Anyone know what I can do to solve this problem?

Thanks

• Sponsors (?)

The dollar bill trick...

The problem with doors and hatches is getting them to close tight enough. Guessing at the right amount of clearance can be annoying and time consuming. Here's an easy way to determine if the weather seal is tight enough to keep out the weather and keep down the rattles and road noise.

Stick a dollar bill on each one of the flat sections. On a typical door that means one at the top, one at the bottom and one on the front and one at the back. Gently tug on each dollar bill; it should have some resistance, but not just slip out nor be completely stuck. When all the dollar bills require the same resistance to being pulled out, the door or hatch is aligned to evenly compress the weather seal all the way around.

Why dollar bills? They are made with paper with a high rag content and will resist tearing much better that ordinary paper. They have a consistent thickness and resistance to tearing, so you get uniform test results.