Hate to say it but...

302GTS

If you need herpes, I'm your man!
Apr 20, 2009
Largo, FL
It looks like I may be turning over to the dark side in the next few months or so. :notnice: After the holidays are over, my girlfriend and I will both be moving out, and my car just hasn't been working out my way at all. It isn't heavily modded whatsoever, and isn't driven hard often at all, however things have just constantly been breaking, and I'm barely at 90k miles! I've found some awesome deals on LS1 Camaros within 100 miles of my house, and plan on selling my car to use as a down payment on one after my girlfriend and I get settled in...

It's sad to say all that and, trust me, I love my Mustang. It's just been nothing but a money pit since I bought it. :( I can honestly say I've already put half as much as what I paid for it, into fixing things. A lot of little things that really added up, along with a couple of major things that let go. Unless I, or my girlfriend (assuming she doesn't wise up and finally skip town on me) hit the lotto, the Stang will probably be going. :shrug: It's been a blast owning one, and this site's helped me a lot but, unfortunately, within the next 6 months or so I don't know if I'll be too active on this side of the auto world.

• Sponsors (?)

I talked with my girlfriend this morning for a bit, along with both our families. They're actually willing to help out with rent money for the first little while after moving out... Assuming I can get my finances straightened out, I'd really love to hold onto the Mustang - it being my first REAL car I ever bought. If I can do that, that means my 'little' LS1 can be a daily driver, and the Mustang can really get woken up. :D

I can hope and, for now, that's about the best I can do!

Moving out on your own is a big step and you need to make sure you think finances instead of desires for awhile. Not saying to sell it but it is hard times right now and taking the leap out is always stressful. Most people assess their toys after some time so don't be in a rush to build a car when you've got rent/mortgage and other responsibilities..........and OT there are a few of us on this board that own both a Stang and a LS1, do what makes you happy and what works for you.
Will

I talked with my girlfriend this morning for a bit, along with both our families. They're actually willing to help out with rent money for the first little while after moving out... Assuming I can get my finances straightened out, I'd really love to hold onto the Mustang - it being my first REAL car I ever bought. If I can do that, that means my 'little' LS1 can be a daily driver, and the Mustang can really get woken up. :D

I can hope and, for now, that's about the best I can do!

Can I suggest that if you're trying to start a home, and need a DD that allows you to keep your stang, and if you're getting help from others to do so, that you consider buying something a little more reliable, efficient, and inexpensive to operate and insure than an LS1? Keep your stang as a toy/ weekend driver, and pick up a focus or something, that gets good mileage, cheap insurance.

Poster above is right, take a look at your priorities. If you can keep your stang and still get your finances in order, GREAT! But sometimes you gotta give up the toys for a few years (or at a minimum, dial back), while you're taking care of the really important things in life...

My unsolicited $.02.

Been there, done that, back to buying toys to feather my (almost) empty nest!

Can I suggest that if you're trying to start a home, and need a DD that allows you to keep your stang, and if you're getting help from others to do so, that you consider buying something a little more reliable, efficient, and inexpensive to operate and insure than an LS1? Keep your stang as a toy/ weekend driver, and pick up a focus or something, that gets good mileage, cheap insurance.

Poster above is right, take a look at your priorities. If you can keep your stang and still get your finances in order, GREAT! But sometimes you gotta give up the toys for a few years (or at a minimum, dial back), while you're taking care of the really important things in life...

My unsolicited $.02.

Been there, done that, back to buying toys to feather my (almost) empty nest!
That's definitely a good point, and I do need to work on getting rid of my wants for 'instant gratification'... If the lady friend is ok with DDing a little Civic, I don't see why I can't do something like that. :shrug: I just really want something with low miles, that I won't need to worry about breaking down on me. After moving out, we will be making trips up to PA to visit her mother's grave during the holiday time, and neither of us will get on a plane (God help if I have to go overseas at all!), so I definitely need something reliable, and something that'll hold up. For a DD, I want an auto 4 cylinder with cloth interior, and a/c. :D That's all I ask. :flag:

Lemme just tell ya, I'm currently looking into houses as well. I kinda did things backwards though, I bought and paid for all my toys first, so now there's no payments on any of those, aside from insurance.

My regret, although I do love it, is buying a DD that gets less MPG than the stang did in it's day...with gas prices souring, man do I wish I'd thought forward and bought myself a little Mazda or Focus (Mazda sort of keeps me in the Ford family) The truck is extremely durable and useful, but considering what I bought it for (towing the mustang), I don't need it near as much as I thought I would

Luckily for me, the girlfriend, whom I will admit MIGHT be the smarter person in this relationship, managed to pick up a 97 Mazda Protege from her dad, for free, and it's cost her about 40 bucks in repairs over the past year to get it on the road. Since then, she fills it for 30 bucks a week, and generally doesn't worry about reliability aside from the odd belt.

Be smart, buy a 4 banger and reap the rewards of cheap reliable driving!

Agreed, agreed, and agreed. If I didn't have so much money into my car that I would never ever see if i sold it I would not be terribly opposed to selling it and getting a focus or something similar and leaving the car hobby for a few years. I love the car hobby, but if I had never gotten my car and done all the modding I would have no students loans at this point and be working on a down payment for a house.

I agree with the above posts, and also want to add that if you bought an LS1 for a DD, you would never drive the Mustang anymore. Why get into a slower toy, when you DD is more fun to drive. If you get a little 4 banger DD, not only will you save money day to day, but your Mustang will still have a fun factor to it.

I agree with the above posts, and also want to add that if you bought an LS1 for a DD, you would never drive the Mustang anymore. Why get into a slower toy, when you DD is more fun to drive. If you get a little 4 banger DD, not only will you save money day to day, but your Mustang will still have a fun factor to it.
This is truuue, too. It's always fun to drive my mom's v6 around town for a day or so, and then get into my 5.0 and have it feel worlds faster than it did before. :D

I hear the SVT Focus is a fun little economic car....:)

With a higher price tag, too. My girlfriend picked up her Civic, which has had zero issues, for $3,000... I'm willing to shell out around 5-6k as long as the car's comfy, reliable, and economical. Oh yeah, and slow. I don't want any temptation to hit the pedal on the right! :p

With a higher price tag, too. My girlfriend picked up her Civic, which has had zero issues, for $3,000... I'm willing to shell out around 5-6k as long as the car's comfy, reliable, and economical. Oh yeah, and slow. I don't want any temptation to hit the pedal on the right! :p

Good choice! I'd also recommend adding to your list "un-moddable". Otherwise, you just have another demand for your limited funds. I'd think you can find another car that meets your criteria for $3k, and put the other $2-3k into something lasting (and NOT your Stang!).