Have a question I NEED answered soon...please

SMRcalidiv

Founding Member
Aug 14, 2002
Sacramento, CA
well I spent most of the day installing my new rack and pinion/tie rods. I made a bonehead mistake when I put the tie rods on and forgot to transfer the nut from the old rack. So I realized my error and went back to do it, but in the process I kinda wrecked the boot on the tie rod with the pickle fork. I was curious about when I take the car in for alignment are they gonna risk doing the same thing? I don't care to buy the new boots but I don't wanna put new ones on for one day just to have the alignment shop ruin them. Thoughts...?

• Sponsors (?)

i never use a pickle fork on tie rods. it is much easier to smack the knuckle a couple of times with a dead blow hammer. tie rod pops out everytime without any damage. but you dont have anything to worry about.

SaleenGT2001 said:
i never use a pickle fork on tie rods. it is much easier to smack the knuckle a couple of times with a dead blow hammer. tie rod pops out everytime without any damage. but you dont have anything to worry about.

+1 on the hammer technique. Never used a puller on tie rod ends for any vehicle I've put new ones on. :shrug:

thanks for the responses guys, I went and bought some poly boots, hell they were only 4 bucks and the last ones lasted 125k so I think Ill get my moneys worth lol. My stock tie rods wouldnt come out without the p.fork, I beat the piss outta them with a hammer but no luck, I had to use the pickle fork and a hammer to get them out, at the same time, oh well...to each his own.