have a wireless router question

• Sponsors (?)

yes the walls do affect the signal,and im not familier with that wireless router but their is probably nothing u can do unless the firewall settings or software you have for it say somthing about boosting the signal. Their are some routers which they make which are suppose to have extended range i belive now too

I have the DI 524 and it works all over the house. Walls do affect the signal, as well as other wireless devices. So don't use you're computer/router near a cordless phone.

Sounds like you either have some sort of interference, or there's a problem with either your router or wireless card...

What wireless card are you using? My laptop had a built in 802.11g card that I could literally only get signal if I was within 5-10 feet of my access point. I grabbed the card I had in my old laptop, and now I can wander anywhere in the house and never lose signal, with the access point being on the second floor, too. I'm using a Linksys AP and a D-Link card.

Maybe D Link has a problem with there wireless router but I have a wireless router that is a Link Sys wireless G my signal is perfect all the time and I am on a different floor on the other side of the house. Plus I beleve D Link use Sisco like linksys so when you set up the router you have to push the sisco button and then press the button on the program for your wireless card and they will link together and then you will get a pass phrase, you type that passphrase in the next screen and that locks your signal to your computer. Never go wrong with linksys the Military uses it

eh dlink is a good company but like every company they make cheap pieces and expensive peices while i have no experience with their products i can assure u they are well respected and linksys is just as capable of problem as was my old wireless router which worked for a few months and finally stopped working, and it barely worked while it did. Infact i belive some wireless routers eventually poop out but thats probably because they get so hott and are never turned off. Personally i got a netgear that i one now that i love but i still prefer connecting in with my 100ft network cable :)

As far as I understand, Dlink is a quality company for network devices. Dlink, Linksys and - believe it or not - Microsoft are the best names in networking (for home use). But they are all so interchangeable that it's like buying one or another brand of toilet paper or bread.

Walls matter, but position matters too. Place it higher if you can. I had mine in the basement at the ceiling and it didn't work so well. Put it in the entertainment center and it was better but not great. Put it on top of the entertainment center and now it is perfect. The higher and more central location the better. Maybe if it's old, you could think about buying a new A/B router for like $20. Or you could add a second router, and put it in a different place. Tune the two to different channels. Then you would have great signal everywhere.

And if you ever have the option to run on an ethernet line - do it (like for a desktop computer or you sit at the same desk or couch on a laptop alot). Ethernet lines are at least 4 times faster than even 'G' wireless systems (some times much better than that), especially in real world effective speeds.

If all else fails, keep this in mind. Poor wireless reception is the worlds best firewall, because while you can barely use it in your own house, neighbors or e-theives would never be able to tap into your wireless signal from outside.