Have any of you removed your front swaybar?

aj1025

Jul 4, 2003
Tyler Texas
I heard two sides to this question, will I really notice an improvemnet of the rear wheels digging into the pavemnet. I heard of people saying that this mod dropped their times mabey two tenths of a second, plus they say the car rode better. Then i've talked to some people and they say that if i take a turn two fast that i will loose control, is this true? I saw a post that the guy said this mod transfers more of the cars weight to the rear wheels and that he has had no problems with daily driving, i just want to get more info on this before i go and remove it.

• Sponsors (?)

The sway car is made to keep both wheels firmly planted on the road during hard or sudden turning. Without it the front end torques and puts more of a load on one wheel, reducing traction. Although some people do fine without it, in the event you have to turn hard and fast, a car without the sway bar may start "pushing" the front where a car w/ one would not. Your call, but it's easy enough to disconnect @ the track, and reconnect before you head home.

edcar01gt said:

By disconnecting one (or both) of the end links. You'll need a pair of wrenches, I don't recall which sizes. One wrench goes to hold the top bolt, while the other (or ratchet) removes the bottom nut. It might have a little tension on it, so don't care yourself *****less while removing it. :) Replacing it is just as simple. In case you didn't know, end links are in the pic on the left.

Attachments

• 314319_59_full.jpg
    314319_59_full.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 128
I think it is a 16mm Bolt, I just took mine off for the 1st time this Friday, not saying it was all becuase the sway bar, but my times dropped from 14.08 to a 13.774, my 60 foot improved from a 2.0+ to a 1.899, so yes I say it really helped, the car feels like it rides smoother, but you can feel a difference in handling, nothing major, but you can tell, it just leans into turns about 35% more than it used to, other than that it is the same, I am not putting mine back on.

984.6gt said:
I think it is a 16mm Bolt, I just took mine off for the 1st time this Friday, not saying it was all becuase the sway bar, but my times dropped from 14.08 to a 13.774, my 60 foot improved from a 2.0+ to a 1.899, so yes I say it really helped, the car feels like it rides smoother, but you can feel a difference in handling, nothing major, but you can tell, it just leans into turns about 35% more than it used to, other than that it is the same, I am not putting mine back on.
Thanks for all the info, what about traction bars, will these really help? I just got back from the store and punched my car several times and it always gets squirellie on me with the traction control on, i need more traction at the rear wheels. It's one thing to have all this power but another to put it to good use, i can't lower my times if i can't hook up.

aj1025 said:
Thanks for all the info, what about traction bars, will these really help? I just got back from the store and punched my car several times and it always gets squirellie on me with the traction control on, i need more traction at the rear wheels. It's one thing to have all this power but another to put it to good use, i can't lower my times if i can't hook up.

Umm, tires should obviously be your next mod. Get some 275/40/17 Nitto Drag Radials. I was pulling low 1.9 60' on the stock converter. Now I have a 3500 stall, but haven't been to the track since I installed it.

And FYI, there are no traction bar per-say for our cars. Only subframes, which will help you keep the body straight on launches.