have to pull my motor now.... and suggestions on heads

Foxfan88

My Grandpa has great wood.
Sep 13, 2004
Miami, Ok
ok heres the story. my car has been running great but starts breaking up in the upper rpms due to stock ignition.

i relocated my battery to the back and put my ign box up front close to the coil and etc. got it running today and opened my plug gap back to .035

took the car out, ran incredible the high rpm breaking up was gone and the car really felt awesome, pulled alot harder and just overall ran smoother.

had a friend with me and went back into town to get gas and i noticed the car start to have a tick, sounded like valvetrain maybe lifters. got to gas station, saw some white smoke coming out from under the hood, popped the hood and saw nothing that looks abnormal, thought it was my valve cover breather, alot of times crankcase vapors will lightly mist out of the breater.

got gas and was going straight back to the garage about a mile or so to find out the problem.

car started making the noise worse and i happened to look at my temp gauge and it was creeping up on 260!!! i started freaking out and i shut her off and rolled into a school parking lot about a half mile away from the garage.

got out and popped the hood and the engine looked fine, nothing appeared abnormal. its like the engine was fine, nothing seemed hot or anything.
me and my friend sit there confused about what was going on, engine cranked over fine just sort of have the tick tack like a loose valve train, like it got pretty warm and thinned the oil out pretty bad or something.

kept looking under the car and saw not water collecting on the ground, finally i start poking the radiator cap and noticed it wouldnt hiss at me, then i touched it and noticed it was cool. in fact most of the radiator was cool. the upper hose was hot and all but the radiator and lower hose were cool.

popped the cap off and the radiator was completely empty. we were confused as to where the water went it surely didnt burn it, we saw no smoke behind the car driving it and nothing on the ground, i would have had to been smoking like a train to have burn up the whole cooling system as long as the car was driven.

layed on the ground and looked closer under the car and noticed coolant on the under carrige and then it hit me, a freeze plug popped out.

i dont know if anyone of you remember but i had to replace my freeze plugs my car because they rotted out. i used the copped expandable plugs that have the nut that opens them up. we did it with the engine in the car.

sure enough it did, i was poking the cylinder with a screw driver lol. it let all the coolant out down main street or something....

so were hitched a ride to my truck and towed the stang back to the garage.

so i am going to pull the engine and get some real core plugs and get them in there good so they wont come out again. i need to get a new clutch anyway because the FMS clutch i have now isnt holding the power. earlier when i was in 4th gear once it hit the powerband it smoked the clutch, like i just pressed the clutch in and kept my foot in it. give me a chance to clean somethings up and fix some leaks etc.

now i am also wondering if i should be concerned about the alum heads.
my temp gauge showed its highest reading of 260 and we shut it off a few secs after. after looking at the engine while it was still hot, there was no evidence of it even being hot, everything felt normal. you would have never guessed it got hot.

just concerned and debating about if i should pull the heads off when i pull the engine. from what i can tell nothing was hurt, the only thing i noticed was the slight valvetrain ticking when it ran, nothing horrible, just like any motor does when it gets pretty warm.

i guess i will look things over once i get it out. i hope i didnt warp the heads, doubt i did but you never know.

what do you guys think i almost want to pull them off while all is off to be safe.
i will run a compression test as i am tearing her down to see for any evidence of a leak.

any opinions or ideas of other things i should check?

car ran awesome though, ran the best it has ever gone, i was quite suprised how good it ran with a good ignition on it. really cleared it up and ran smooth and fast.

• Sponsors (?)

oh man that sucks, i'm sorry to hear that Brett. just run a compression test on it before you pull the heads. no since in buying another set of head gaskets if you dont need to. good luck, let us know how it turns out

oh man that sucks, i'm sorry to hear that Brett. just run a compression test on it before you pull the heads. no since in buying another set of head gaskets if you dont need to. good luck, let us know how it turns out

yeah i will do a compression check as i tear her down some before i pull it. but i really doubt i hurt anything, at least thats what my gut tells me and your gut is almost always right lol

no biggie though, i guess thats the benefit of working on a stang so much. its like "well i got to pull the motor... no big deal" doesnt really bother me too much, like i said its a good chance to tidy things up and fix a few leaks and stuff you know.

i happen to be off all this week for vacation so i will start in on it early tomorrow (monday)

as for the gauge, i dont see how it could have had water up in the lower intake, there wasnt even anything in the block unless it was under the level of the freeze plugs.

i'll keep you posted.