Have you negotiated prices of large items?

TheUser

Jul 25, 2003
Springfield, MO
I know a lot of the time you can negotiate the price of large purchases (over $1000, etc). An instructor of mine said he went to the mall to get suits. It was gonna be like $1400; he offered $1200 and they took it. I've negotiated vehicle prices, but that's about it.

Have any of you negotiated prices of items besides vehicles? Maybe furniture or appliances, etc? If so, list what you bought, the store price, the price you ended up paying and any other comments/details you want to add.

I'm going to be buying a house soon and I will definitely try to negotiate prices of appliances/furniture if I can. I know, though, that you do have to have cash in hand to negotiate. Won't work too well if you ask them to cut the price and then ask them to lend you the money:nono:

• Sponsors (?)

A lot of places will give you a cash discount on high-dollar items, but you have to ask. I remember several years back (at least 8 now), I walked into a local speed shop needing to buy a trans. At the time, I ordered a new WC T5 from Ford Motorsport. He told me it would be some outrageous amount of somewhere in the neighborhood of $1600, including shipping. I set like $1100 on the counter and told them that was all I'd be willing to pay for it. The trans came in a few days later... I did the same when I ordered exhaust, but that wasn't as high priced as the trans, so the difference in price isn't worth writing home about. Just doesn't hurt to mention it because it can be done.

Yeh everything is negotiable as long as its not at like Walmart, or a big chain. My sister bought a table and living room set and got a few hundred dollars off as a package. I bout a trailer yesterday, guy was asking $2,700, I bout it for $1,800 cash. I always negotiate, always offer a low offer, worst that can happen is they laugh, its happened to me a few times but who cares I enjoy it lol.

I got my Fridge from Best buy. They had it listed for $1300. I wanted the thing bad but i wasn't budging from $1000 so i told the guy id take it if he could do $1000 out the door. I ended up getting it for $998

My tv i got from HHgregg for $2100 including stand and new Polk surround speakers. Their price in the store was $2400 on the tv, $300 on the stand and $200 on the speakers

the web makes it easy

sure does....you can do some research and see what things go for and where..

also, on big items that are shippable, I always try to buy out of state to not pay sales tax.

I have ungodly sums of cash ($35K + :shrug: ) in my Bronco (331) and Mustang (soon to be 306)
and the only tax I have paid is on the motors from Coast because they are in California.....

Franchise tax board eat $h1t :lol: :lol:

I got my Fridge from Best buy. They had it listed for $1300. I wanted the thing bad but i wasn't budging from $1000 so i told the guy id take it if he could do $1000 out the door. I ended up getting it for $998

My tv i got from HHgregg for $2100 including stand and new Polk surround speakers. Their price in the store was $2400 on the tv, $300 on the stand and $200 on the speakers

Who knew someone could be lusting over a fridge :shrug:

Yup .. I negotiate on almost everything of higher dollar. Always negotiate on mods for my car. If you make a bulk type purchase from say CJs, Brothers, etc they will come down in price. Other items I negotiated on: TV from circuit city, car tires, gun from sporting shop, furniture, carpeting, hardwood floors, computer (pretty much any electronics), and always on labor rates for stuff.

Just baught a New King size bed. store was asking $1200 and we layed down $750 and went and picked it up that following monday. Let me tell you I havn't had such a good night sleep in such a long time. Well worth it.

doesnt matter what it is.. if its for sale, its negotiable (usually)
yeah, I just wanted to get an idea of how much cheaper people usually get things. It works better if you offer a good price that's not too low, but something you're comfortable with so that they don't think that you're just low-balling them. If you start real low and inch up 50 bucks or something, they'll probably just tell you to leave and not deal w/ you.

I used to be a sales rep, so I know people negotiate, I just wanted an idea of the kinds of deals people get. I was selling a $1700 product and some people would offer $800 and junk and we'd just not even mess with them, but we would sometimes sell it for $1000 cash depending on the circumstances. Very rarely, we'd let it go for $900-ish cash.