having conflictive interest....

• Sponsors (?)

I like the ls1 fbodies, but the main thing that kept me from owning one, is the extremely tight engine compartment and the fact that the engine has to be removed from the bottom. For someone who works on their own cars, this is a PITA

have you driven a cobra?

i'm an fbody guy and come here b/c i do occasional maintenance on my sister's '01 GT. there's no comparison to me - i simply don't like the mustangs at all but I love my Z28... my sis drove my car while i was servicing hers and she said she was gonna miss it and said it was "just so grrrrr!"... meaning she likes the grunt, lol... and it's just an ol' /95 with 105k.

i will agree with the above - it's a major PITA to work on. plug change takes hours if you're good, the compartment is indeed tight. i don't know about the engine removal thing.

hope I don't start one of 'those' threads. just giving my opinion... the mustang has a strong heritage and is a great car to mod, but stock for stock i strongly prefer the f-bodies.

good luck either way you go.

personaly i'd keep the SS, the 01 cobra, while nice, is really nothing that great. if you do sell it i'd only get an 04. the SS looks nice, has a load of power (get some new heads and a cam) though my issue were the seats, hated em.. if you like it then keep it. shame to lose a ford fan, but nobody can blame you for your taste. do what feels best to you.

Torinalth

Silver007 said:
have you driven a cobra?

i'm an fbody guy and come here b/c i do occasional maintenance on my sister's '01 GT. there's no comparison to me - i simply don't like the mustangs at all but I love my Z28... my sis drove my car while i was servicing hers and she said she was gonna miss it and said it was "just so grrrrr!"... meaning she likes the grunt, lol... and it's just an ol' /95 with 105k.

i will agree with the above - it's a major PITA to work on. plug change takes hours if you're good, the compartment is indeed tight. i don't know about the engine removal thing.

hope I don't start one of 'those' threads. just giving my opinion... the mustang has a strong heritage and is a great car to mod, but stock for stock i strongly prefer the f-bodies.

I don't get it, if you have a '95 w/lt1 in it and hers is an '01 GT why does she like the "grrrrr" in it, hers should be just as fast if yours isn't too modded. I have an '03 GT and have never lost to an lt1 before, I've raced 5 so far at the track, LS1s I have lost twice but not by much, 1/2 a car length. So going back to the SS, you said the most important thing yourself "I LIKE IT." That is the main thing that matters, I guess if you have second thoughts about it go out and test drive an '01 Cobra to see how it feels and you will be able to tell which one you like best.

xspwr stang said:
I don't get it, if you have a '95 w/lt1 in it and hers is an '01 GT why does she like the "grrrrr" in it, hers should be just as fast if yours isn't too modded. I have an '03 GT and have never lost to an lt1 before, I've raced 5 so far at the track, LS1s I have lost twice but not by much, 1/2 a car length. So going back to the SS, you said the most important thing yourself "I LIKE IT." That is the main thing that matters, I guess if you have second thoughts about it go out and test drive an '01 Cobra to see how it feels and you will be able to tell which one you like best.

I think it's because of the greater displacement and low-end torque. I had a 95 Z28 vert, and it just "felt" faster than my GT (both only had a K&N).

I didn't say it wasn't as fast; the point was it's more responsive down low. My car is quicker, not necessarily faster. Both are stock, autos... mine has a 2.73 which is about as low as you can go and still smoke tires, lol... hers is geared pretty steep too I believe. I drove the GT the day she bought it new and have a few times ever since - it just doesn't have the grunt of an f-body. Up top it's nice and smooth, pulling hard but not down low.

Just what I've seen. Others may have seen different. I don't know much about Mustangs. :)

Silver007 said:
have you driven a cobra?

Thats funny!! My g/f has a 99' TA [she likes it and so do I] but she says she likes driving my Stang better cause it's smaller and easier to see out of. She dosn't like the fact that she can't see where the end of the nose is on the TA when parking, and it's hard to see out the back window when she backs up. I don't mind the big nose as I've had a Vette for years.
I know what she means by the LT1 having more "Grrrrr" as they have a lot of more low end torque like the old 5.0L's so they feel faster, where as the 4.6's need to rev to feel the HP.
As far as the SS, you may as well just keep it if you like it.

Edit: Oh, almost forgot. Before I bought my Stang I was wanting to get a TA like my g/f's but after test driving the Stangs, I liked them better than the Ta/Camaros. Power aside,the Stangs just seemed to be a better car, nothing major but just little things like the fit/finish of the interior is nicer in the Stangs, stuff like that. I guess it just boils down to personal preference.

Silver007 said:
have you driven a cobra?

i'll race you in a plug change :D

if it were me i prolly wouldn't get rid of the SS unless i was getting a cobra of the 03-04 variety. i am a ford guy, but the SS is still a cool car none the less.

CanadaStang said:
Thats funny!! My g/f has a 99' TA [she likes it and so do I] but she says she likes driving my Stang better cause it's smaller and easier to see out of. She dosn't like the fact that she can't see where the end of the nose is on the TA when parking, and it's hard to see out the back window when she backs up.

LOL... that was the biggest thing I had to get used to. And guess what? I've tapped the nose more than once! Now I absolutely hate the scoop on her car - I call it the lawn mower hood, hehehe... but yes visibility in an f-body is not great. Interior, while roomier, is very cheap as well on the pre-98 ones. You really don't get much more than engine and chassis with an f-body and I think that's why the Mustang has sold so much better over the years.

stangman said:
i'll race you in a plug change :D

Dude, no way. Before I went to change her plugs I read a little and was reading about the coils, fuel rail, etc. Once I started on the car I was like geez... this is a cake walk! Last time I changed plug wires on my car, I lost 40% of the skin on my arms and hands, lost 40 lbs and couldn't walk for a day!

Silver007 said:
I didn't say it wasn't as fast; the point was it's more responsive down low. My car is quicker, not necessarily faster. Both are stock, autos... mine has a 2.73 which is about as low as you can go and still smoke tires, lol... hers is geared pretty steep too I believe. I drove the GT the day she bought it new and have a few times ever since - it just doesn't have the grunt of an f-body. Up top it's nice and smooth, pulling hard but not down low.

Just what I've seen. Others may have seen different. I don't know much about Mustangs. :)
I've never driven in an f-body car or test driven one but I always thought they didn't have much low end and had LOTS up top power. All the ones I've raced even the LS1s, I have taken them on the take off. The 2 LS1s I lost to, I had them on 1st, 2nd, 3rd, gears but when I hit 4th they just pulled on me. Still, if I had to get an f-body it would have to be the '02SS 35th ed.

Silver007 said:
Dude, no way. Before I went to change her plugs I read a little and was reading about the coils, fuel rail, etc. Once I started on the car I was like geez... this is a cake walk! Last time I changed plug wires on my car, I lost 40% of the skin on my arms and hands, lost 40 lbs and couldn't walk for a day!

:lol: Well, if it cheers you up any, there are a few things on the Stang that are like that too.[Like doing the PI swap]
My sister-n-law has a 95' Camaro auto that scoots pretty good, kicks my a** :( but I'm hoping to give it a good run this summer after my latest bit of tweeking. It's having Opti spark issues again, she's had it since new and never had any problems till last spring when they pulled it out of hibernation, we changed the Opti spark and it was faster than it's been in years, but then it did it again this spring so I'm going to rip it apart again today and see whats up.

poorcollegekid said:
ok guys. I gotta prob. I bought an 00 SS 6spd camaro cuz it was a good deal, planned on reselling it and buying a cobra...but the problem is....i like it. What do you guys think, spend the money on an 01 cobra or keep the SS?

I've never driven a Camaro before, but i know i don't care for their interior. Personally, if you like your SS, trading it for an 01 Cobra would be a dissapointment, it won't be as fast as your SS. Now trade your SS for an 03/04 Cobra...yeah THAT would be well worth it.

Your sig says you have a 96 GT? Why dont you sell that and get an 01 cobra with that and some cash on top. 01 Cobras go for about 17-20k.

Ugh the dreaded opti spark problems. I have yet to have one (that I know of, my mileage isn't the best in town). I hope to get rid of it before anything like that happens, knock on wood.

xsprw, traction is the only problem with gunning an f-body off the line. I do think that Mustangs have a bit better weight transfer off the line than f-bodies and maybe a bit lighter? Now the LT1 is very sensitive to temps so if you're racing a hot one and the barometric pressure was just right, you could very well have pulled him

When comparing an LS1 to an LT1, it's generally a bit slower down low but gains up top. Ironically, this is the same comparison you'll get with an LT1 and L98 :)