Hawk HPS pads too thick?

89lxsport50

10 Year Member
Feb 25, 2003
Franklin Tennessee
I installed new front rotors and Hawk HPS pads. The pads are so thick I had to grind down the little posts on the back about halfway just to get the calipers to go over them. They are so tight now the pads are gripping the rotors. I did a Google search, and it seems like quite a few people are having the same issue. I guess I'll have to take it apart tomorrow, and sand the pads down until they fit. Has anyone here had this problem? Is sanding my best solution?

• Sponsors (?)

I installed new front rotors and Hawk HPS pads. The pads are so thick I had to grind down the little posts on the back about halfway just to get the calipers to go over them. They are so tight now the pads are gripping the rotors. I did a Google search, and it seems like quite a few people are having the same issue. I guess I'll have to take it apart tomorrow, and sand the pads down until they fit. Has anyone here had this problem? Is sanding my best solution?

Which side, the fronts or the backs, b/c the piston on backs need to be turn to 3 and 9 o'clock or else the caliper won't close.

It's the front. I compressed the pistons with a c clamp. They are all the way in.
I had the same problem on both sides. I finally got the calipers on, but they are on so tight the pads are clamped to the rotor. The pads are just too thick. I thought about grinding the posts on the back of the outer pads completely off, but thought I would ask here before doing that.

I would be wondering about the thickness of your rotors. Are they outside of spec? Are you running OE calipers with aftermarket rotors?

They are brand new rotors from Oreilly's. I ended up sanding about a milimeter off each pad, and the caliper slipped right on. The guy on the Bullitt Archive said he sanded 2 mm off some rear pads from EBC because they were too thick.

I was planning on buying some so I'll keep that in mind.

It was a real hassle sanding them down. I used 60 grit paper. I put a flat board on the garage floor, put a strip of sandpaper on it facing up, secured one edge of it with a 2 x 2 with my weight on it. I moved the pad back and forth over the paper rotating it every so often to ensure an even thickness across the pad. It worked, but let me tell you it was a lot of work, and I don't think I want to do it again. I went through a pack and a half of 60 grit, and made a pile of black dust. A belt sander would have been easier, but I don't have one. The good news is the pads are on, I bedded them in per the Hawk instructions, and all is well.

Subscribing, because, like GDawg, I am planning to install Hawk HPS pads. In fact, I already have them, front and rear pads, along with four nearly new Brembo rotors (less than 5K miles on em...I took them to get turned regardless and they said there was really no need to - they were that clean - but he did recommend a less aggressive (and less expensive) clean up, so that's what they did. (Yeah, can you believe it? The guy actually 'down sold' me.))

I'm planning to just do the rear for now as they (the pads) are nearly gone. And here I hoped this would be a straight-forward swap - jeez, I guess I'd better ensure I don't have anything else going on the day I do these...:shrug:

I am glad to hear it all worked out for you 89lxsport50. Sorry to hear of the hassles you had to endure. So, how do the new brakes feel? You did just the front, correct? (I am tempted to do all four wheels at the same time to have a complete matched set...I guess I'll have to see how the install of the rear brakes go) Are they quiet? Dusty?

Thanks!
Chris

Subscribing, because, like GDawg, I am planning to install Hawk HPS pads. In fact, I already have them, front and rear pads, along with four nearly new Brembo rotors (less than 5K miles on em...I took them to get turned regardless and they said there was really no need to - they were that clean - but he did recommend a less aggressive (and less expensive) clean up, so that's what they did. (Yeah, can you believe it? The guy actually 'down sold' me.))

I'm planning to just do the rear for now as they (the pads) are nearly gone. And here I hoped this would be a straight-forward swap - jeez, I guess I'd better ensure I don't have anything else going on the day I do these...:shrug:

I am glad to hear it all worked out for you 89lxsport50. Sorry to hear of the hassles you had to endure. So, how do the new brakes feel? You did just the front, correct? (I am tempted to do all four wheels at the same time to have a complete matched set...I guess I'll have to see how the install of the rear brakes go) Are they quiet? Dusty?

Thanks!
Chris

I've had Hawk HPS pads on my car for about 3-4 years now. When I installed them I also installed new rotors. They were a breeze to install, brake well, and I don't notice any dusting, although FWIW I wash my car about 2 times/month so perhaps the dust doesn't have a chance to accumulate :shrug:

Thanks!
Chris

Yes, I only did the front because my rear pads have plenty of life in them. The Hawk pads have been quiet. I really expected them to squeal because I have read a lot of posts that said they did. I made sure I lubed the slide pins, and the clips where the ears of the pad ride really good. I also used a generous amount of brake quiet on the backs of the pads. So far no noise.

They dust a little, but not too bad.

They stop good, but I think I need to bleed my brakes to get a better pedal feel. I'm going to try that this weekend.

Do a google search on "hawk brake pads too thick".

The Hawks I'm planning on getting are the ceramics. They are quieter and less dust. I'm also going to get Bullitt front calipers and new rotors. I would be happy an auto person "down sold" you. At least he's honest. I work at a parts shop and if a customer is buying something I don't think they should, I will explain why I think they shouldn't.

Wow... I just did a Google search. Lot's of people saying they come too thick. What are the specs of our pads and rotors?

Check this out... I looked up the specs for the rotors...

For my '98
Front Original Thickness: 1.03in (26.1mm), Minimum Refinish Thickness: .970in (24.6mm)
Rear Original Thickness: .55in (14.0mm), Minimum Refinish Thickness: .50in (12.7mm)

On your 2002 GT I'm seeing
Front Original Thickness: 1.10in (28mm), Minimum Refinish Thickness: 1.04in (26mm)
Rear Original Thickness: .55in (14.0mm), Minimum Refinish Thickness: .53in (13.35mm)

Check this out... I looked up the specs for the rotors...

For my '98
Front Original Thickness: 1.03in (26.1mm), Minimum Refinish Thickness: .970in (24.6mm)
Rear Original Thickness: .55in (14.0mm), Minimum Refinish Thickness: .50in (12.7mm)

On your 2002 GT I'm seeing
Front Original Thickness: 1.10in (28mm), Minimum Refinish Thickness: 1.04in (26mm)
Rear Original Thickness: .55in (14.0mm), Minimum Refinish Thickness: .53in (13.35mm)

Well if your rotors are 2mm thinner than mine, you shouldn't have a problem. Of course, I don't know if the ceramic pads are as thick as the HPS. I almost went with the ceramics, but decided on the HPS for more aggressive stopping power.

Oops, now I see where you said you are getting the Bullitt calipers and rotors. Well hopefully you won't have an issue. Let us know how it goes.