HCI 302 setup inside. 320whp attainable?

need a fast car

Jan 1, 2003
-stock rebuilt block
-Twisted wedges
-N41 or FTI
-RPM 2
-24lb inj
-70mm tb
-4.30s

looking for at least 320, would not mind 330. looking to rev to about 6500. I was wondering how much RPMS the stock TW springs can take.

• Sponsors (?)

I'm making 310hp/330tq and the rear wheels on a 120K short block and it had a dead miss at 4800 rpms. The new MSD distributor and coil solved the miss but I haven't re-dyno'ed it to confirm if there is any improvement without the 4800 rpm miss.

I added AFR165 58cc heads, Comp XE 258 cam, Cobra intake, 65mm TB, 70MM MAF, 1.6 RR, 24lb injectors, unequal length headers, 2-1/2 inch cat'ed x-pipe and the few other maintenance type pieces to the engine plus a tune to make it all work together.

This engine combo far exceeds my driving ability on the street. Well let say it's a real kick in the pants and a very reliable N/A combo.

I would post some pictures but I seem to be struggling with that right this minute.

frost said:
I'm making 310hp/330tq and the rear wheels on a 120K short block and it had a dead miss at 4800 rpms. The new MSD distributor and coil solved the miss but I haven't re-dyno'ed it to confirm if there is any improvement without the 4800 rpm miss.

I added AFR165 58cc heads, Comp XE 258 cam, Cobra intake, 65mm TB, 70MM MAF, 1.6 RR, 24lb injectors, unequal length headers, 2-1/2 inch cat'ed x-pipe and the few other maintenance type pieces to the engine plus a tune to make it all work together.

This engine combo far exceeds my driving ability on the street. Well let say it's a real kick in the pants and a very reliable N/A combo.

I would post some pictures but I seem to be struggling with that right this minute.

Sweet. what kind of gear are you running? what are you using to tune with? I'm going to have just about the same combo but with a n41 cam and longtubes

need a fast car said:
Sweet. what kind of gear are you running? what are you using to tune with? I'm going to have just about the same combo but with a n41 cam and longtubes

I'm running a 3.55. I ran across a wrecked 5-speed 87 Turbocoupe Thunderbird which the rearend has 3.55's standard so it worked out great. I needed the TC rearend for my 93 Cobra rims anyway. It's a very nice gear for my combo.

Good luck with your biuld.

N8Miller said:
yeah, that combo should get you damn close to your goal.

frost: a bit more agressive intake and you get 320rwhp.

You are probably right about the intake but I am partial to the 93 Cobra's and my calibrated right foot probably couldn't tell the difference in the extra 10 or so horsepower.

This N/A conbo is a very streetable and reliable. Adding a supercharger would be awsome but that would spell trouble for me because I would HAVE to use all of the hp everytime I got behind the wheel.

frost said:

Can you add your engine to my db? The more we add the better for others building 5.0's.

I believe that intake will flow plenty.

If you get a bit higher on compression and maybe lose the a/c or p/s you will get even closer, if not exceed it for sure.

frost said:
You are probably right about the intake but I am partial to the 93 Cobra's and my calibrated right foot probably couldn't tell the difference in the extra 10 or so horsepower.

The gains to be had from porting the Cobra are not just peak numbers.........I'm sure you could "tell".

tmoss said:
The gains to be had from porting the Cobra are not just peak numbers.........I'm sure you could "tell".

Tmoss,

You're right on.... I did clean up the runners and gasket matched the runners to the AFR's. It is a really nice combo that and truly all I need for my street driving habits. The combo pulls from the word go all the way up. Well up to about 5300 rpm where the hp curve peaks.

Frost,

I have a combo very similar to yours. Recently, I have been experiencing a miss somewhere near 5000 rpm. I was first thinking it was the valve springs. Could it be the ignition system?

Before I started getting the engine miss, when I would spin this combo up past 5000 rpms, I could feel it flatten out. I would like to get this combo to pull hard to 6000 rpms. I had the Cobra lower ported by TMOSS. Is the cam the cause? What else can I do to get what I'm looking for?

Peak numbers are great for bragging on the internet...

Great average power and torque is what wins the race...

There are plenty of 302-310 combos we've done with over 320 RWHP but it's the "mean" numbers we get from idle to redline that make them faster than the rest! ;)

Ed