HCI Guys, would u have done it deifferently?

EXTRPR50

Founding Member
Oct 7, 1998
Hey all, Im going to be getting some cash soon, and the closer it gets here, the more I am wondering if I want turbo, KB, or HCI. With about 5k to put into my stocker 93 notch.
The question is, If you could do it again, would you have gone staright to a power adder instead of the HCI, for your car? I read a 5.0 story about doing the Eddy HCI and a Vortech I think sc. The kit made like 265 hp and the sc made 304. Is this normal numbers for an HCI? Only 65hp increase.
If you have experienced better dyno numbers for your HCI's, pleez let me know so I can make an educated decision, thanx.

• Sponsors (?)

You will probably be surprised at what 'just a 70 hp increase' feels like. In my case, I didn't have the cash to upgrade my tranny/rearend to something that would withstand a bigger power-adder. I'm very happy with what I have currently. Didn't NEED a tune (although, I'll probably be getting a tweecer at some-point) and I feel a lot more confident that I won't be chucking any headgaskets like I possibley would be with a supercharger or the juice.

I'm sure there will be a supercharger in my cars future, but the h/c/i was a huge improvement for the time being.

the hci will just help all the forced induction flow better once you get that. if you have money go for nice stuff like afr 165's 24lb injectors, the calibrated MAF, trick flow intake manifold, and a custom grind cam. that should be your best bet for hci power.

True to all, I see what is being said. I dont think I mentioned it, but with 5 boys, and wife, I need to say that Ive never had 5k before to myself, and dont think I will in the near future, lol. My point was to buy an adder for the lump sum, than add the other HCI pieces a little at a time, used heads here, used intake there, etc.
If Im just being a cheap miser , let me know. Seriously, Im just wanting to do the right thing with the bucks. And no, non one in our family is going to suffer for my power addiction, debts will be paid off first.

You can pick up the TFS HCI kit for around $2500 at summit, maybe cheaper at other places but I don't know. That is pretty much the whole thing from what I understand, gaskets and everything. You might want to pm Aliate X though and ask him since I know he has one on his Mustang.

I don't know what you have for MAF and TB and such. But if you had to buy a MAF, TB and injectors that would still leave you around $2000 for the blower. I am not sure how much blower or turbo kits are going for right now but You could probably squirrel that away and add to as you can and then get the FI for the car.

I usually go the used route. Right now I have a 347 with ported systemax heads sitting in my shop. Bought all of it used and locally so I could look at it before I bought it. Everything in the 347 looks good but I am going to rering it and put some new bearings in as well while it is out of the car. Cheap insurance in my mind. The only thing that is probably going to be new to that car is the cam, pushrods and TC. the rest will probably be lightly used parts. Why pay full price when I can get the stuff cheaper and in good shape.

I agree with you, I, like everyone else, love opening up a box and inhaling the smell of freshly cut aluminum wrapped in plastic, but getting a good deal on a nice used part is pretty satisfying too.
Im leaning toward a KB with 6psi pulley to start out with, and build around it. Hey, itll save me money on an intake!

I wouldnt have done it differently. I have a little clip in my sig with the mods listed below. I wasnt redlining it either cause the new mods are nowhere near broken in yet. I only drive the car maybe twice a month for a little cruise

With 5 grand to spend you should be able to buy h/c/i and then get a used blower with the cash you have left!

Thats true to an extent. you will need to buy more supporting mods which of course is going to be more money. You will most likely fork over more money than you thought. And of course you will have to upgrade the trans if you havent already. again, more money

If I could do it all over "today", I wouldn't have bothered messing around modifying the stock hardware (heads, intake, T/B spacer, etc) and just gong with a set of aftermarket units right from the get go.....and then went with a power adder. Unfortunately, when I was building my 5.0L, aftermarket aluminum heads were still really expensive and there weren't many used choices floating around out there.

I have built two mustangs one on a budget and if i was to do it all over again and i was in your place with 5k i would go turbo. I did the HCI and even built short block then 2 years later a blower. It would have been more fun doing it the other way i think go fo the bigest bang for the buck now and add the intake or heads or cam later and with a turbo you can turn up the boost later for

Thanx, I dont know what to do. I love turbos, but the kits I see, I wont have much left for upgraded trans. and the other stuff with it. Id really not want to go used with a power adder.

I probably wouldve just bought the Trickflow kit and called it a day.
I bought everything separately and spent more money than I wouldve on the kit and I didnt even buy an intake (already had one on the car).

http://www.nmraracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69513
http://www.nmraracing.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69528

Start searching trust me there are a ton of deals out there. Hell I built my motor 351W stroker with a T-trim blower mid 9sec combo for a little over 6 grand minus blower

1969 block and all the prep work=450
eagle stroker kit ZERO balanced=1400
intake=200(used)
carb=790
R heads=1500(used)
oil pan=150(used)
cam=375
Kooks headers=400(used)
electric water pump=280
romac balancer and timing chain=300
crane gold race rockers=200(used)
Misc=300

i'm a fan of forcing air into the engine ever since i got my blower. for an EASY bolt on 60-90 horse i would get a vortech s trim. out of the box will make 8-10 psi on a stock engine. if your engine runs well. i wouldnt tear it down for the time being. slap a blower on and it will run really nice.

i upgraded heads and cam and intake on mine first and it helped out alot but still left me wanting alot more power. it would pull great on a cooler day but on HOT summer days and with passengers in the car you could feel it lugging it down. once i added the blower to my car i didnt look back ( iadded the SC trim instead of s trim). with just 5-6 psi it went from a best of 105 mph to a best of 112.92 MPH in the 1/4 with just simple timing and FP changes at the track.

since then i added a bigger crank pulley and its making 9 psi and the car is an animal will pull your head off and run like a scalded ape all day long. with the 9 psi i am SURE it will run 11s and pick up some mph

with the blower it doesnt matter about the weather on a HOT 100+ day it will still run super fast and lately since it has cooled down its INSANE how the car is running with cooler air.

for an EASY bolt on power gain i'd get a centrifugal blower. alot easier to install and maintain.

while doing a HCI there are alot of oppurtunities for something to go wrong like breaking off bolts and etc just all the nickle and dime stuff.

I've had 7 5.0's from an 83GT to an 84 Capri to an ex trooper car etc. And with all those cars, not one had a power adder and it has killed me. I know its right to do an HCI first then adder, but man it's awfully tempting....