HD Radio

Skud

Sep 10, 2003
Saskatchewan
Anyone used it/listened to it yet?

I really like the idea, but I think it's being poorly adopted and implemented by the aftermarket. Each company seems to want their HD product to be one of those "add-on" boxes that plug into their "HD Ready" head unit. There are also products that "add crystal-clear HD radio to your existing stock or aftermarket stereo!". I mean c'mon what's the point then? The quality isn't any better. They just rebroadcast the HD content using an FM modulator! That's just like using one of those cd to tape adapters. You lose every benefit of HD radio except maybe the "additonal content" that stations might start adding.

I've been waiting to replace my 6 year old Clarion head unit. I want a GOOD head unit that has a built-in HD tuner. So far the only ones that fit the bill are real low-end units made by JVC, Dual, and Jensen. That seems *really* strange to me.. There is an Alpine one that looks nice, but it's $1,000+

I'd rather not have to buy a HD-Ready head unit and then drop another $100 on a HD tuner box.

Oh, and is it just me or does satellite radio sound "muddy" like it's missing a lot of the... something.. it's hard to explain..?

/rant off

Thoughts?

Riley

• Sponsors (?)

I'm like you I don't know much about them, but I didn't think it gave you any better sound quality, just picked up more stations. :shrug: It is funny to hear all the companies saying that their HD radios are better, and pick up more stations than others. I'm not in the car enough to justify the cost of a new head unit for HD, or satellite radio.

well i have heard HD radio a and it really does make regular FM radio sound like cd's and AM sounds like FM.

im most citys where HD radio is available, its the same station you normally listen to except higher quality. AND you get artist name and song name to show up on the head unit as well. i don't know about any other stations because i usually only listen to one station anyway, but here in the Chicago area, the radio station I listen to is Q101.1 and from what i understand, their HD station plays the same type of music but with no commercials.

i personally like pioneer head units and when they come out with a decent HD one, i will consider buying it.