Fox Head, Cam, Intake

ironrider2

Oct 17, 2012
I'm looking to do a head, cam, intake swap on my 91 fox gt. What price range should I be looking to pay to cover the labor on this as I will be supplying the parts. Does anyone on here know of any good engine builders or machine shops in the Nashville, Tn area that they have themselves dealt with and got the results you were looking for

• Sponsors (?)

Welcome to :SN:

Do you already have a complete set of heads with springs, valves, rockers etc installed on them?
Any machine work required?
Do you require a tune?
Need bigger injectors? If so a MAF will need to be programmed for the new injectors plus a bigger in tank fuel pump.

All this plays into how much work is needed to be done to get an idea of price. I think some people on here have paid about $800 for install assuming everything goes smoothly. Some people have buddies that give them a good deal and some areas have less expensive labor rates that others.

Can you give us more info about your current setup and what HCI combo your getting?

Reactions: 1 user
="MustangLvr, post: 8831857, memb2er: 188660"]Welcome to :SN:

Do you already have a complete set of heads with springs, valves, rockers etc installed on them?
Do you require a tune?
Need bigger injectors? If so a MAF will need to be programmed for the new injectors plus a bigger in tank fuel pump.

All this plays into how much work is needed to be done to get an idea of price. I think some people on here have paid about $800 for install assuming everything goes smoothly. Some people have buddies that give them a good deal and some areas have less expensive labor rates that others.

Can you give us more info about your current setup and what HCI combo your getting?[/QUOTE]
As far as the heads they are ccomplete pro comp 210 without the rockers I had planned on using the factory ones . The cam I am planning on getting is comp 35-518-8 with lifters and springs to match.The intake is bbk ssi with 70mm throttle body and 24lbhr injectors with matching maf. My current setup is stock other than cai and 3.73 gears
Welcome to :SN:

Do you require a tune?

Can you give us more info about your current setup and what HCI combo your getting?

Last edited:
[Qneed aOTE="FoxMustangLvr, post: 8831880, member: 188660"]I'm not sure you should exceed 0.5" of cam lift with factory rockers. Your cam, the XE-274HR has 0.55"/0.565". I strongly recommend FULL roller rockers.[/QUOTE]
I need all of the suggestions I can get as this is my first build

First off the bbk intake isn't very good. A lot of people have had problems with them. #2 unless you already bought the pro comps don't buy them!!:nono: Again lots of issues with quality. #3 that cam is to big for stock pistons unless you're going to have them notched. If you want a complete new "kit" I recommend the tfs top end setup. It's all inclusive and is a descent performance upgrade. There are plenty of good options out there. You happen to have picked some poor quality parts for your build. As far as labor goes I've seen anywhere from 600-1200$ for just bolting everything together. That doesn't count some extras you'll need or a tune.

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks forforOTE="A5literMan, post: 8831917, member: 177274"]First off the bbk intake isn't very good. A lot of people have had problems with them. #2 unless you already bowill notught the pro comps don't buy them!!:nono: Again lots of issues with quality. #3 that cam is to big for stock pistons unless you're going to have them notched. If you want a complete new "kit" I recommend the tfs top end setup. It's all inclusive and is a descent performance upgrade. There are plenty of good options out there. You happen to have picked some poor quality parts for your build. As far as labor goes I've seen anywhere from 600-1200$ for just bolting everything together. That doesn't count some extras you'll need or a tune.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the input on the price. As far as my part selection im on a budget as you can tell and carcraft hasnt given horrible reviews on these items like everyone else!

Thanks forforOTE="A5literMan, post: 8831917, member: 177274"]First off the bbk intake isn't very good. A lot of people have had problems with them. #2 unless you already bowill notught the pro comps don't buy them!!:nono: Again lots of issues with quality. #3 that cam is to big for stock pistons unless you're going to have them notched. If you want a complete new "kit" I recommend the tfs top end setup. It's all inclusive and is a descent performance upgrade. There are plenty of good options out there. You happen to have picked some poor quality parts for your build. As far as labor goes I've seen anywhere from 600-1200$ for just bolting everything together. That doesn't count some extras you'll need or a tune.
Thanks for the input on the price. As far as my part selection im on a budget as you can tell and carcraft hasnt given horrible reviews on these items like everyone else![/QUOTE]

If you're on a budget then you can look at a Explorer intake/GT40 combo. Scour craigslist or the junkyards, and pair it with a TFS stage 1 cam or the almighty E-303 cam from ford racing. Change the valve springs and get some 1.6 roller rockers and you should be fine. Don't have to change anything in the fuel system and you can use the stock MAF, saving you some money.

OTE="tamadrummer88, post: 8832122, member: 93868"]Thanks for the input on the price. As far as my part selection im on a budget as you can tell and carcraft hasnt given horrible reviews on these items like everyone else![/QUOTE]

Thanks, Sounds like I need to sell what I have and start over...bummer. Does the stock pistons have to be fly cut when using the e303 camshaft?

If you're on a budget then you can look at a Explorer intake/GT40 combo. Scour craigslist or the junkyards, and pair it with a TFS stage 1 cam or the almighty E-303 cam from ford racing. Change the valve springs and get some 1.6 roller rockers and you should be fine. Don't have to change anything in the fuel system and you can use the stock MAF, saving you some money.[/QUOTE]
Tha

OTE="tamadrummer88, post: 8832122, member: 93868"]Thanks for the input on the price. As far as my part selection im on a budget as you can tell and carcraft hasnt given horrible reviews on these items like everyone else!

Thanks, Sounds like I need to sell what I have and start over...bummer. Does the stock pistons have to be fly cut when using the e303 camshaft?

If you're on a budget then you can look at a Explorer intake/GT40 combo. Scour craigslist or the junkyards, and pair it with a TFS stage 1 cam or the almighty E-303 cam from ford racing. Change the valve springs and get some 1.6 roller rockers and you should be fine. Don't have to change anything in the fuel system and you can use the stock MAF, saving you some money.[/QUOTE]
Tha[/QUOTE]

No, the E-cam is designed to work on a stock/mildly modified motor. But make sure you change the valve springs and upgrade to 1.6 roller rockers.

If you're on a budget then you can look at a Explorer intake/GT40 combo. Scour craigslist or the junkyards, and pair it with a TFS stage 1 cam or the almighty E-303 cam from ford racing. Change the valve springs and get some 1.6 roller rockers and you should be fine. Don't have to change anything in the fuel system and you can use the stock MAF, saving you some money.
Tha[/QUOTE]

No, the E-cam is designed to work on a stock/mildly modified motor. But make sure you change the valve springs and upgrade to 1.6 roller rockers.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the input you have been a big help

OP the explorer route is probably the best bet for what you want to do. There are some extra costs though. For example you will need to have the heads gone through and usually costs around 500$(valve job,springs,milled,etc)

Another option is to look for some used alum heads from tfs,Afr,gt40x,edelbrock etc. Expect to spend somewhere around 700-1000$ for a complete set. As far as cams go the rule of thumb is to keep lift under .512(it also depends on duration/timing events). The e cam isn't a bad budget option or a tfs1 cam. You can get a used one also. They usually are reusable. You should always check ptv clearance when installing a new cam.

If you already own the pro comp heads then keep them. I've heard that they're not that great but you'll never get "great" while on a small budget. We can recommend you do this and do that but we're here to steer you in the right way. Pro comps suck when compared to Trick Flow heads, AFR heads & Edelbrock but that doesn't mean they won't work for you and doesn't mean they won't help you gain power.

You can keep what you got but the BEST budget build is the explorer heads and upper intake. Keep your 70mm throttle body. Get the GT40 heads and send them to a machine shop and have them rebuilt or you can buy them already rebuilt. You'll have about $600-$800 into the GT40 heads after purchase and rebuilding however but they'll be better than the Pro Comps and reliable and most importantly if you ever decide to upgrade from the GT40 heads you'll be able to sell them and possibly break even on them because they're in demand.

The TFS top end kit is awesome and most people are happy with their new HP levels at around 300 rwhp. But that kit will set you back $2,900 and you'll still need your 70mm throttle body, Cold air intake, 75mm MAF calibrated for your new 24lb fuel injectors you need to buy and also a larger in tank fuel pump to feed the larger injectors, and a new fuel pressure regulator should be added to that kit, and last but not least you need to buy stud mount roller rockers. Now your up to about $4,000 and you haven't even paid someone to install it yet.

How are we doing spending your money for you? :shrug:
HP is not cheap, and by cheaping out you will end up doing it again in the future and that costs even more money to do it twice.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users