Head/Cam Swap Work Trade For E7's?? whuddya think?

Mustang78

Feb 8, 2006
Aberdeen, WA
so there's this guy that has some ported GT40's and a steeda 19 cam he wants on his 94 corba(i believe), and will give me the stock E7's with about 40,000 miles on em for doing the work. He will be there helping me also, and using his tools, shop, etc...he lives an hour away so i'd have to drive a bit, and spend one full day if not part of the next day to do this, the flat rate time for the heads is 9 hours, not including the cam. Is it worth it? originally he was selling the heads for 450.00 but i dont have that kinda $$ to spend on heads right now, and the E7's are worth 100-150 from what i gather, i could also get paid 100-150 to do the swap also and put the money towards the old heads i have(C80E) to get rebuilt, which might be the better route.... LMK what you guys think, Thanks

~Mark~

• Sponsors (?)

ok thanks, i kinda thought that...but they only have 40K miles on em...what's a fair price to do the work with his help and shop? 150 i was thinking...i prefer to work alone anyways but i dont mind teaching someone

~Mark~

Man, on a EFI car, i wouldn't touch that offer for less than 300.....i don't have any idea if that's fair or not but with all the EFI crap to deal with not to mention just the head swap itself...especially if the car has A/C...no way. 300 is still cheap if you ask me but maybe with a decent set of heads to boot....but man you can find good E7s for next to nothing....a buddy just gave me a set that are ported...sure that was a friend hook up but he was selling them for 50 bucks. They're no Thumper E7s but they're cleaned up real nice and gasket matched.

ok, i'll probably tell him i dont want to do it because i dont trust my skills with his precious corba, dealing with my own car where i can take my time is a whole nother story..but i will buy the heads for 300-350 if he'd take that offer, sound good? maybe i can do just the cam install for part payment on the ported GT 40's..is that too much?

~Mark~

ummm....why would you pay $300 for e7's??!?! :bang: Go get some gt40s or gt40p's if you want to spend that much. e7's are pretty much worthless unless their ported.

There is no way your buddy is gonna get $450 for a pair of stock e7's :rlaugh:

For him to even offer you those heads for that much, he's either trying to screw you or hes an idiot :shrug:

oh and if its a 94 cobra it already has gt40 heads not e7's... e7's came stock on gt's

i thought the cobra's came stock with something better..thanks for clearing that up, maybe it wasn't a corba he wanted the work done on, i dont remember, he said he had 3 cobra's so i just figured..and the 350 is for the ported GT40's!! i would never pay that kinda $$ for E7's. i guess i wasn't clear in my rambling in my last post, haha but what's a good price for those ported GT40's?

~Mark~

If the port work on the GT40s is good, and not just someone going crazy with a dremel tool....and if they don't have a ton of miles on them and they have nice springs, then $350 isn't bad. But, as stated you can find complete Explorer engines for $350 if yo shop around....you might have to travel to get it but they're out there. Then you'd have GT40Ps which are arguably better than the standard GT40s.

if your nice youll help him, but forget the e7's their worthless. Dont go into this trying to gain anything out of it other then helping someone...whitch isnt always a bad thing to do.

ok..he says he knows a guyw ith some GT40P's, who knows i might just not call him back and forget about it all, i dont want to spend any large amount of money right now either, or waste a day or two helping somebody i'll likely never see again, on the other hand it could change my life...who knows i'll figure it out, and shop for an explorer motor

~Mark~

ok..he says he knows a guyw ith some GT40P's, who knows i might just not call him back and forget about it all, i dont want to spend any large amount of money right now either, or waste a day or two helping somebody i'll likely never see again, on the other hand it could change my life...who knows i'll figure it out, and shop for an explorer motor

~Mark~

gt40p's wont chage your life lol.