Head gasket and AFR questions

87'GTstang

Feb 16, 2004
I'm looking at my AFR 165's and maybe it is just me but which one is left and which one is right, I cannot find any identification besides one side says #140 and the other says #1400 on both heads....?

Also does anyone happen to have the part number or know of it for the upgrade to 7/16" studs? I found something like 100-7101 but am not 100% sure on these.

Lastly, (I know it gets asked somewhat frequently) which head gaskets should be run on a 304 with 8.8-8.9 compression looking at 8-10 lbs of boost? I came up with the usual 1011-1 and 1011-2, but what about the 9333-pt1? Anyone know what cometic gasket number works for these engines?

• Sponsors (?)

If the block is not prepped correctly or you are new to boost I would not reccomend a Cometic. They so not blow and can cause a lot of damage for the beginner.

I use the 1011-1, and as stated the heads are mirror images they can go on either. The PT1 are a stock replacement gasket. Make sure you use teflon based sealant on the lower head bolts/studs, and moly or oil on the top.

Rick 91GT said:
If the block is not prepped correctly or you are new to boost I would not reccomend a Cometic. They so not blow and can cause a lot of damage for the beginner.

I use the 1011-1, and as stated the heads are mirror images they can go on either. The PT1 are a stock replacement gasket. Make sure you use teflon based sealant on the lower head bolts/studs, and moly or oil on the top.
like rick said MAKE SURE YOU USE SEALANT ON THE BOTTOM HEAD BOLTS or STUDS...when i was putting together my 331 i replaced head gaskets twice because i thought i had blown head gaskets when actually i was leaking out of the bottom studs!!:Damnit:

Cool deal. I know with the modulars they are off the same assembly line but final product makes them a left and right head.....

So has anyone else upgraded their rocker arm studs to a 7/16" and happen to know what ARP part number works?

Does anyone know what 7/16" ARP rocker arm stud takes the places of the 3/8"? I think it's 100-7101 but everything is saying that it is for use with roller rockers AND stud girdles..........is this what theyt support or does a girdle have to be ran? Anyone know for sure which one works???