Head gasket? Cracked intake? HELP!!!!

Yes, you need that gaskets between the adaptors and heads. I don't care what any body says, you need them! The sooner the better. That would take care of your problems. Make sure your adaptor ports line up with the ports on your head. That goes for the gasket that you purchase as well. Your O ring gaskets on the intake side should still be good to reuse. You said you have the PI intake, that is the one with the integrated O ring gaskets on the intake, correct? You probably will need a new set of spark plugs as well. Take care of this problem before you sell the car. You don't want the buyer coming back to haunt you! Do it right! Good luck, Tommy.

thanks, if im selling the car before i have to do the gasket, I will let the buyer know.

• Sponsors (?)

i took the thermostat out today and im gonna put a new one in it along with a new resevoir cap to try to rule that out. the gaskets inside where the thermostat sits looked ok to me but im starting to lean more towards intake because im seeing more antifreeze sitting in the valley below the intake.

i took the thermostat out today and im gonna put a new one in it along with a new resevoir cap to try to rule that out. the gaskets inside where the thermostat sits looked ok to me but im starting to lean more towards intake because im seeing more antifreeze sitting in the valley below the intake.

I can almost guarranty you that the coolant is leaking between the adaptors and heads. You are burning up your coolant as it is getting into your exhaust ports. With the smoke coming out from your tail pipe, you probably see anti-freeze coolant as well. The only thing that will resolve your problem is to install the required gaskets between the adaptors and heads. Good luck, Tommy.

I can almost guarranty you that the coolant is leaking between the adaptors and heads. You are burning up your coolant as it is getting into your exhaust ports. With the smoke coming out from your tail pipe, you probably see anti-freeze coolant as well. The only thing that will resolve your problem is to install the required gaskets between the adaptors and heads. Good luck, Tommy.

I think u are prevert to me :rolleyes:, but thanks :nice:

still no fix :(

i flushed the system today. the antifreeze wasnt too bad, a little bit brown but no huge chunks or anything. i also put a new thermostat in it but i dont think thats it because after i changed everything including flushing the antifreeze, i took the car down the road about 5 miles and when i got back home the temp gauge was at about a third of the way (aftermarket gauge faces so im not sure of the number). anyways, i popped the hood and the antifreeze was sprayin out of the cap. i pulled the cap off and the the antifreeze that was left in the tank which was about half full sucked right through the hose on the bottom of the tank. my new cap will be at the stealership tomorow so hopefully that will fix the problem. if not its time to start tearin it down to check for the intake crack and if its not that maybe a head gasket? :shrug:
*still no antifreeze in the oil, exhuast isnt really smellin sweet either*

thanks for the advice guys :hail2:

im still leaning towards head gasket man, mine was just like yours, and didnt spit out billowing clouds of smoke or sputter until the gasket BLEW completely. It was just problematic like yours for a while until it fully blew, and the coolant gushing out was due to the fact that exhaust gases were getting into the coolant.

i mean i tried everything: coolant flush, different mixes, having the fan constantly on, new tank cap, new 180 degree t-stat, etc. Arizona summers didnt help either lol

hopefully, this isnt whats happening to you, but dont turn a blind eye to the problem or dont ignore it for too long because you can really screw up your engine if you let this go too far. Thankfully, my heads didnt warp or anything when mine went, i immediately had it torn down and sure enough the head gasket was bad.

try to figure out how to get to diagnostic mode, it really helps in seeing whats really going on in the engine.

im still leaning towards head gasket man, mine was just like yours, and didnt spit out billowing clouds of smoke or sputter until the gasket BLEW completely. It was just problematic like yours for a while until it fully blew, and the coolant gushing out was due to the fact that exhaust gases were getting into the coolant.

i mean i tried everything: coolant flush, different mixes, having the fan constantly on, new tank cap, new 180 degree t-stat, etc. Arizona summers didnt help either lol

hopefully, this isnt whats happening to you, but dont turn a blind eye to the problem or dont ignore it for too long because you can really screw up your engine if you let this go too far. Thankfully, my heads didnt warp or anything when mine went, i immediately had it torn down and sure enough the head gasket was bad.

try to figure out how to get to diagnostic mode, it really helps in seeing whats really going on in the engine.

i got it into diagnostic mode today as soon as i shut it off after it spit out the coolant and the guage read the same temp that it showed when it was running. which has never went above the halfway mark. its still pretty cold here in michigan so i think thats helpin it a little bit from overheating. what else should i be looking at when its in diagnostic mode besides the temp?

wait did you read off the actual temp from the little odometer screen though? once youre in diagnostic mode, you can push and release (quickly) the reset button to cycle through the settings, and one of the screens should be degress celsius. let me know if you've found this screen yet, like i said the actual needle gauges do a poor job at showing changing conditions.

wait did you read off the actual temp from the little odometer screen though? once youre in diagnostic mode, you can push and release (quickly) the reset button to cycle through the settings, and one of the screens should be degress celsius. let me know if you've found this screen yet, like i said the actual needle gauges do a poor job at showing changing conditions.

oh ok i get it now, i thought you were just talkin about goin into diagnostic mode and just waitin cuz the gauges all max out then go to whatever temp and stuff that they were right before i shut it off. il try that tomorow if it overflows with my new cap. im pretty sure its the head gasket though but i might as well just try the cap, i already paid for it.

anybody know of any not outragously expensive mods that are worth it while i have the heads off the car?

yea, i did the new cap as well, its nice knowing that once you do find the problem, you have all these new parts on the car that wont fail for a while :p

im not too sure as far as mods, besides porting your heads or going built.

what i do suggest you do if you do pull the heads, is check the timing chain tensioners for broken plastic and replace gaskets, including the manifold gaskets :shrug: its good preventative.

yea, i did the new cap as well, its nice knowing that once you do find the problem, you have all these new parts on the car that wont fail for a while :p

im not too sure as far as mods, besides porting your heads or going built.

what i do suggest you do if you do pull the heads, is check the timing chain tensioners for broken plastic and replace gaskets, including the manifold gaskets :shrug: its good preventative.

ok i will, im probably gonna start it in about two weeks and just not drive it until i have to take it to the shop to get painted next friday.i dont wanna have the whole thing torn apart before i get it painted and take the chance of runnin into problems with money and stuff and not be able to get it sprayed. il let ya guys know how it turns out, thanks for all the help

sorry for the late reply but it was the head gasket. car runs awesome now and not sprayin anymore antifreeze from anywhere :D
thanks alot guys!

how much did you get it fix for ? why dont u try to get your moneys back from the guy who sold it to u, I would beat the hell out off him or ...............her....na just slap the bitch.

sorry for the late reply but it was the head gasket. car runs awesome now and not sprayin anymore antifreeze from anywhere :D
thanks alot guys!

called it, didn't I? :D

glad to see you got it fixed before it did some real damage, i felt really relieved as well when i had it fixed before i grenaded an engine.

alot of people say that head gasket failure is uncommon on these engines, but i beg to differe, i've seen plenty of it, but maybe im just looking more carefully :shrug:

how much did you get it fix for ? why dont u try to get your moneys back from the guy who sold it to u, I would beat the hell out off him or ...............her....na just slap the bitch.

it costed me about 400 with gaskets, bolts, and head resurfacing ( they took 8 thousandths off cuz they were warped just a little bit) I traded my old firebird for this car to some guy in detroit who traded it like the next day for an ugly caprice with hydrolics hahahaha:rlaugh: