Head Gasket Trouble - Pull Engine

• Sponsors (?)

I'm running MAC shorties, what you got?

Sent from my Samsung Note 4 using Tapatalk

That's your issue. Mac headers are notorious for leaking. The individual flanges get all out of shape and move around with the numerous heat cycles. I finally managed to get my last ones to seal after using super thick gaskets, smeared in high temp silicone at both ends.

Never, will I pay money for Mac headers again. I've got BBK long tubes on now and they don't leak a bit.

Yeah the MAC headers really served me well for the first 2.5 years I owned the car. No leaks. Wish I would have figured out what kind of gaskets were installed on them then from PO.

When I rebuilt the engine, I had the engine on the stand when I reinstalled the MAC headers, and they were bent. I had to pry #4 pipe to get the bolt to finally thread in. So they definitely are under stress. They are a real pain in the A$$ to mess with in the car. Like when I replaced the gaskets last weekend... I would love to get new headers.

When you guys use silicone, does it fix the leaks for good? I hate to use silicone....

Those steel core/graphite Felpro gaskets are not cheap gaskets. They might not have been right for your application (designed for logs vs. headers). I also hear great things about soft copper gaskets for headers.

Burn out like that can be from when a header bolt gets loose or a warped flange. If the thick aluminum blows out, check to see how flat your flanges are and think about some Stage 8 fasteners or some type of locking or wiring method.

Reactions: 1 user
I have ARP bolts in crap mac headers. Prob the headers. If these new ones burn out in buying new headers.

Sent from my Samsung Note 4 using Tapatalk
I have parts store spectre header bolts with mr gasket ultra seal header gaskets. No leaks no bolts coming loose . I use a dab of rtv on all my header bolts as thread locker . Seems to work well

Sent from my iPhone using my fingers while my auto correct makes me seem illiterate

I want to say 5930 . Autozone has Always had them on the shelf .

And I'm 8.2 302 based dart block

Sent from my iPhone using my fingers while my auto correct makes me seem illiterate

Reactions: 1 user
I just saw this too, do you have Dart heads? Or Dart Style heads?

5929=Dart port style and size

upload_2016-2-24_13-36-26.png

5930=Stock port style and size

upload_2016-2-24_13-37-18.png

I used the Earl's Pressure Master gaskets. No leaks so far and they've been on a few years. But, I also bought shorty headers that have a one piece flange instead of individual flanges for each exhaust port.

Felpro 1415's,- old school trick I've done for decades is soak them in water overnight and use allen head SS bolts with lock washers. Haven't had a leak in many cars and no need to retorque the bolts.

Reactions: 2 users