Fox Head Light Restoration - Any Suggestions

cdurbin

5 Year Member
Jul 27, 2012
North Charleston, SC
I bought some original style replacement head lights about a year or so ago and they are already hazy and yellowed. Actually the center lights are pretty good. It's the inner and outer marker lights that look like crap. I read and googled many options to try and refinish them. I was wondering if any of you have had any luck with doing this. I'm hoping to squeeze a little more time out of them.

• Sponsors (?)

Don't laugh... but I used toothpaste (the paste type not the gell type) on my wife's headlights right before she sold the car. Just wipe it on, rub it all around with a cloth, then rinse it off with water. Made them look pretty good, a major improvement over their initial color. It's a pretty low tech option, which is why I decided to give it a shot. You don't have a lot to loose in trying it other than a few minutes of your time. Just make sure you use HER toothpaste..

Don't laugh... but I used toothpaste (the paste type not the gell type) on my wife's headlights right before she sold the car. Just wipe it on, rub it all around with a cloth, then rinse it off with water. Made them look pretty good, a major improvement over their initial color. It's a pretty low tech option, which is why I decided to give it a shot. You don't have a lot to loose in trying it other than a few minutes of your time. Just make sure you use HER toothpaste..

I saw the toothpaste trick on youtube. :)

i've done it numerous times on different customers' cars. i personally would never use 400 or 600 on plastic, you'll likely never get all the scratches out. i wet sand with 1000 and then 1500. don't get antsy, it will take a little bit to get all of the yellowing off. after that, finish up the sanding with 3000 on a wet DA. then use a 3" mini polisher and a good plastic polish to bring them back to new. hand polishing won't work nearly as well.

Reactions: 1 user