Head question

proxses

Founding Member
Dec 12, 2000
Dayton, Oh
I have a friend with a 289 motor. He wants a bit more power out of it.
Now, I have a pair on E7's I'm doing nothing with at the moment. Would his motor make more power with the heads that came on the 289, or would a set of ported E7's work better?
The motor is in a '66. I don't know if it is stock. But from what he has said, it is not that powerful. So I would guess it has not been messed with.
Or to put this a better way, how would you go about getting more power out of this motor on a budget?
Thanks.

• Sponsors (?)

actually the E7s will pull more air than the 289s, but.... the CC in the chambers is the down fall !! the 289s have 54 CC's and putting the E7s on will drop his compression almost a full point!! ( 9.5 to a 8.5) and if the engine was a little slow befor... droping that much will make a REAL slow engine , with a huge loss of low end!!

Just me.......................................

Thumper

thumper460 said:
actually the E7s will pull more air than the 289s, but.... the CC in the chambers is the down fall !! the 289s have 54 CC's and putting the E7s on will drop his compression almost a full point!! ( 9.5 to a 8.5) and if the engine was a little slow befor... droping that much will make a REAL slow engine , with a huge loss of low end!!

Just me.......................................

Thumper

Thumper......Can gt-40(iron) be Milled into the mid 50s?

Sorry for the highjack!!

just gasket match and polish the 289 heads its easy on those no thermactor bumps. if not sell em to me they're my favorite stock head.
btw use a stock cam or go upto a 280 grind or above a medium size cam in a 289 is pointless.