head swap question

MY86GTVERT

I am Adam Sandler's GAY brother!
Founding Member
Jul 18, 2002
Harrisburg, PA
i blew a head gasket in the capri. i happen to have a set 0f e7's layin around so i thought i would just put them on instead. as imputting the pushrods back in the valves are being compressed as i tighten the rockers down. is this normal? the pushrods are stock off the capri and the rockers are stock off the e7s any help quick would be appreciated. this has been now a 3 day project due to the weather and i would liek to complete it today

• Sponsors (?)

Put your socket on the balancer bolt and rotate the engine around so the pair you're working on have both valves closed when you're installing the rockers - that is, so the lifters are on the base circle of the cam for the valve you're tightening. That's the proper way to do it. Yes it's normal for the rocker to open the valve when you tighten it if the lifter's on the lobe of the cam. Now, if all of the valve springs are being compressed - whether the lifter's on the lobe or the base circle - then you've got some valvetrain geometry issues - probably pushrods that are way too long.