Head ticking

BDT 1967

Jan 31, 2006
Wichita KS
My engine is ticking when it runs, It sounds almost like loose rocker arms that need adjusting. We have adjusted these rocker arms several times and we have never really had any success fixing the problem. I have tightend the rockers to the point where i think they shouldnt rattle but it doesnt seem to help. :shrug: Any ideas, I have comp cam valvetrain. And the engine only has about 800 miles on it.

• Sponsors (?)

forplay said:
If you have roller tip rockers then tend to make some noise. I know mine sound like a lifter tick and always have. I've been told that just how they are?

Yea thats what everybody thinks when i start it up, but i dont have roller rockers.

Tomorrow im going to get the car out and check for an exhaust leak.

I couldnt wait till tomorrow, so i went and checked all the exhaust bolts on the head, they all were tight just like i left them, i used the hose to also check for sound from the exhaust. I dont believe the clicking is comming from the exhaust. I'm sure now that this has to be my rockers clicking.

you can use a metal rod as a stethiscope for your valve covers. Get the rod, hold your thumb over one end of it and put the thumb to your ear. With the car running probe over the valve covers with the other end of the rod. You should be able to hear some normal noise and any exessive noise should be obvious. This will also help you localize your problem. Thin rods work best

Sounds like you have a collapsed lifter. Check to see if you can push down on the pushrods when there is still plenty of oil in the lifters by starting the engine and shutting it off before it gets hot. It's helpful to already have the bolts out of the valve cover. Have you already narrowed down which side the ticking is coming from?